You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

NVMe Drives won't mount in Sonoma

My NVMe drives installed in a PCie card on my 2019 Mac Pro stopped mounting when I upgraded to Sonoma.

Is there any future fix to this? I took the drives out and re-seated them in the PCie card and they worked fine for a week, but now they no longer mount again.

Mac Pro (2019)

Posted on Jul 9, 2024 1:45 AM

6 replies

Jul 10, 2024 6:19 PM in response to Rikp

This has been an issue with some internal PCIe SSD adapter cards since the launch of Sonoma and IIRC, there has been no fix yet. You can look through the following very long thread to see there was any updates or solutions I may have missed. I believe Sonnet and/or OWC support had posted some information in that thread.

PCIE M.2 drive not mounting after Sonoma … - Apple Community

Here is another thread regarding boot issues:

Mac Pro 2023 will not boot with PCIe SSD … - Apple Community

There may have been a few other smaller threads as well.

Jul 10, 2024 3:28 AM in response to Matti Haveri

Hi Matti, tried all Mac formats. The drives would show up fine for a couple of days and then disappear for no reason. When I re-seated the drives and changed them to APFS they booted for a week straight. Got up Monday morning, started my MacPro, and no drives. They have not booted since. And it's all four drives that disappear.

Jul 10, 2024 6:52 AM in response to Matti Haveri

These are NVMe drives installed in a Sonnet M2 4x4 SSD PCie card. These drives worked great until I installed Sonoma OS.

I do have SSD Drivebays with External SSD drives that are working just fine. I am a composer and these drives house my sound libraries. Apparently, I am not the only one having this issue. I reached out to the Sonnet folks and they are aware of the issue.

Just wondering if anyone has solved this. I am losing 16 TB of fast drive space for storage and sound libraries.

NVMe Drives won't mount in Sonoma

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.