You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Use hotspot - home when BT fails?

BT broadband has outages in my area according to my Internet provider which is Zen. Zen tells me that connections will be restored on Friday. How can I use the mobile signal from my iPhone to set up an iPhone personal hotspot. Then how does my PC running Windows connect to the personal hotspot using WiFi? Do I need to turn off the router which normally connects to the BT network?

iPhone 15, iOS 17

Posted on Jul 10, 2024 6:08 AM

9 replies

Jul 10, 2024 6:23 AM in response to Shippy94

Hotspot is a feature that allows your phone's connection to your carrier's cellular network to broadcast a Wi-Fi signal to allow other devices to connect to the Wi-Fi and get an Internet connection.

You won't have to turn off your BT router if you set up a Hotspot on the phone, you just won't be using it.

But....if you don't have a connection to your phone from your carrier's cellular network, then the Hotspot will not work correctly.

To see if your carrier provides a Hotspot option.....not all carrier's do......tap Settings > Cellular and look for Hotspot.

When you have a Hotspot set up, your Wi-Fi devices connect to the Hotspot's signal.

This Apple Support document provides the details:

How to set up a Personal Hotspot on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Jul 10, 2024 6:17 AM in response to Shippy94

First: Your carrier must support WiFi hotspots (sometimes still referred-to as “tethering”) AND it needs to be provisioned on your account.

Then simply setup the hotspot in your phone.

It then becomes a WiFi access point on your carrier’s network … then you simply set your PC to use your newly established WiFi access point.

How to set up a Personal Hotspot on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Jul 10, 2024 12:40 PM in response to Chattanoogan

Thanks for the useful comments.

Thank goodness I was finally able to use my iPhone to connect my Windows 11 laptop to the Internet.

I think that the sequence was

1. Turn off the router. This action ensures that the router doesn’t grab the WiFi used by the laptop. In theory I could reconfigure the default WiFi that the laptop uses but hopefully BT will come good and the Broadband will be restored on Friday. I would prefer not to reconfigure things and turning off the router is easy.
  2. Power down the laptop then reboot it.
  3. Create your Personal Hotspot on the iPhone. This is easy enough to do. Choose System then Personal Hotspot. Set your password, possibly making it more memorable than the one supplied by Apple. Stay on the page on your iPhone.
  4. Go back to your Windows 11 laptop. Navigate to Settings. Then select Network and Internet>WiFi
  5. Look at the available networks and select the personal hotspot created on the iPhone e.g. Mary’s 2023 iPhone
  6. You should now be able to use your browser to access web pages of interest!
  7. You don’t need to stay on that iPhone web page once you are connected so you can answer calls and use texts on the iPhone while accessing the Internet from the Windows 11 laptop.

Jul 10, 2024 7:19 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Yes, in fact I have created the Hotspot on the iPhone ok. And even managed to connect the laptop to the hotspot. But only once unfortunately.

There is a minor problem with the router. If it is switched on and I attempt to connect to the Hotspot my laptop immediately connects to the router and won’t let me connect to the Hotspot. I can get round this by switching the router off but was wondering if I could avoid the necessity.

Otherwise, it appears that a USB connection gets selected when I create the Hotspot.How can I change this?

Jul 10, 2024 7:48 AM in response to Shippy94

DO turn “off” your fixed home/office Router/WiFi. (if your phone is connected to it, it CAN’T also establish it’s own WiFi network)

Unfortunately I’m at a loss to help you further as I don’t see the same page and options as you.

This is likely because Hotspot is a carrier-provisioned service …

… so each carrier tailors the iPhone interface screen to their own requirements.

Perhaps your carrier doesn’t allow WiFi access ???

(While unusual in my experience in 2024, it’s still within their “sandbox” nonetheless)

Sorry. Hopefully turning “off” your WiFi/Router does the “trick.”

Jul 10, 2024 7:56 AM in response to Shippy94

On your Mac laptop........click on the Wi-Fi "Bars" at the top of the screen and look for an option to connect to the name of the Hotspot signal.

Then click on the name of Hotspot signal to connect and enter the password if required.

Other Wi-Fi devices would connect the same way......choose the Hotspot signal and then enter the password if required.

Use hotspot - home when BT fails?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.