You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I de-register a phone number from the Messages app

My phone has a registered number I'm not familiar with. It is a Philippine number and I was recently living in the Philippines so I believe in may be a number from one of the internet routers we used. The routers have a sim card. Anyway, I tried to deregister online selecting the option of not having the phone. The problem is when I enter the phone number some red text appears saying the number is invalid. I put in the +63 country code and type the number just as it appears on my phone, but I'm being told it is an invalid number. If it is invalid how can it be on my phone and how can I deregister the number?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 11 Pro

Posted on Jul 10, 2024 6:00 PM

5 replies

Jul 10, 2024 6:46 PM in response to banajovy

IP routers don’t have telephone numbers.

VoIP lines, mobile phones, landlines, and other cellular-connected devices can have telephone numbers.

Are you possibly looking at one of the telephone numbers associated with your Apple ID?

Jul 11, 2024 2:54 AM in response to MrHoffman

The Hauwei router we use in the Philippines has a SIM card and a phone number and can receive text messages. Practically everyone who has internet in the provinces uses that system which is usually provided by either Smart or Globe. Each month I would buy a load for the router using the router's phone number to identify the router to receive the load. Every SIM card in the Philippines now has to be registered with the government so I had to register the SIM card and phone number of my router thanks to Marcos.

Whether the router has a phone number or not (and it 100% does) is not the issue. I want to know how the de-register the main phone number on my iPhone if it is coming up as an invalid number when I try to de-register the number.

Jul 11, 2024 8:20 AM in response to banajovy

Apple devices wouldn’t know about that SIM, any more than any other non-locally-connected SIM on any other not-Apple cellular device.

That number might have been added to an Apple ID as a trusted number, but that's not related to Messages.

You’ll probably have to call Apple Support to sort this, if this somehow isn’t a trusted number.

Jul 11, 2024 11:35 AM in response to MrHoffman

I had a Philippine SIM in the phone when I lived in the Philippines so maybe something changed when I removed that SIM and hooked up with a US eSIM. I've never used imessage so I won't worry about it. I had a little concern that something nefarious was going on since I didn't recognize the number and that is the only reason I wanted to remove it. I'm sure Apple would charge me to remove the number. Thanks

Jul 11, 2024 12:43 PM in response to banajovy

banajovy wrote:

I had a Philippine SIM in the phone when I lived in the Philippines so maybe something changed when I removed that SIM and hooked up with a US eSIM. I've never used imessage so I won't worry about it. I had a little concern that something nefarious was going on since I didn't recognize the number and that is the only reason I wanted to remove it. I'm sure Apple would charge me to remove the number. Thanks

If the SIM was used in the iPhone, then why a SIM-connected router was mentioned here is unclear, as is why the SIM was considered to be somehow be unfamiliar. That SIM would have to be very familiar.

As for calling Apple Support about this, I've never heard of Apple charging for correcting issues with an Apple ID.

How do I de-register a phone number from the Messages app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.