Syncing contacts and calendar not working

First, I do not use iCloud (I want to keep my data private, and sooner or later iCloud will get hacked).

I connect my iPhone 12 to my iMac by USB. It says it is syncing, including Contacts and Calendar. However, it doesn't work properly.

Contacts on my iPhone are constantly deleted, and they are not replaced with contacts on my iMac.

Syncing is set property to "Sync contacts onto iPhone - All Groups" and "Sync calendars onto iPhone > All Calendars"

Calendaring seems somewhat better, but there still are glitches.

What to do?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iMac 27″

Posted on Jul 11, 2024 12:13 PM

2 replies

Jul 11, 2024 12:29 PM in response to Eliot Hudson

Eliot Hudson wrote:

First, I do not use iCloud (I want to keep my data private, and sooner or later iCloud will get hacked).

I connect my iPhone 12 to my iMac by USB. It says it is syncing, including Contacts and Calendar. However, it doesn't work properly.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

This would be the least of my worries:

iCloud data security overview

Advanced Data Protection for iCloud

you can file a bug report /submit your Apple Feedback here: Product Feedback - Apple

The current stable release of iOS including bug fixes, security updates is iOS 17.5.1

Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

The current stable release of Sonoma including bug fixes, security updates is macOS 14.5 (May 13, 2024)

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

Jul 18, 2024 6:07 AM in response to leroydouglas

I have the same problem. I have a work security requirement that all my data stay on my own equipment. I agree with the OP that trusting iCloud to keep your data secure is asking for it. If you don't believe me, just ask AT&T customers who had their data stolen. You have to work very hard to keep iCloud turned off and Apple from vacuuming up all your data.

I prefer to maintain the master copy of my data on my MacAir and just manually download it to the iPhone by USB. I've trying to sync by USB from my MacAir to my iPhone. Everything is the latest rev. Nothing works.

I go to the Info tab and check

Sync contacts onto myiPhonenamehere iPhone SE 2023

and

Sync calendars onto myiPhonenamehere iPhone SE 2023.

This formerly worked but it has stopped working. So I try where it says...

Advanced: Replace information on this device

During the next sync, information on this iPhone will be replaced with information from this Mac.

I click the two boxes for Replace Contacts and Replace Calendars. When I hit the Apply button it actually unchecks those boxes and starts the Sync. And, of course, the contacts and calendars are not replaced as promised.

Some years ago when iCloud was new, Apple stopped the functionality of sync'ing the most secure way - by USB. Then that capability came back. Apple clearly desperately wants to force people onto to iCloud. I suspect Apple is intentionally disabling the sync'ing by USB capability to force people to use iCloud so that their data is no longer private.

If so, BAD APPLE.

Syncing contacts and calendar not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.