You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration from rMBP to MacBook Pro M3 MAX (Intel to M3 apps) - macOS BIG SUR 11.7.10

Hi all,

This question again :)

What is the best and easiest way to transfer my data from late 2013rMBP with upgraded 2TB NVMe SSD running macOS BIG SUR 11.7.10 to my new M3Max without too much hassle. I also have bootcamp on my 2013, which shows in Storage and don't want to transfer that (probably wont transfer anyway, right? but wanted to make sure)

I already deleted too many unwanted files when upgraded my ssd, from original apple ssd to NVMe about a year ago and now my main concern is apps at the moment and also bootcamp partition.

should I only transfer USER? or shall I transfer files and folders too? what is the best way to do it? Migrant assistant over WiFi? I chatted with apple advisor and were told there is not a wire option!

I read so many article already regarding this transmition and most suggested only doing User and not even files and folders but since I also have bootcamp partition and also my ssd is not original apple SSD, I thought to ask your export opinion before starting the migration.

Thank you for your help and input in advance.

Posted on Jul 12, 2024 2:13 PM

3 replies

Jul 12, 2024 2:46 PM in response to Roxham7

Roxham7 wrote:

Hi all,

This question again :)

What is the best and easiest way to transfer my data from late 2013rMBP with upgraded 2TB NVMe SSD running macOS BIG SUR 11.7.10 to my new M3Max without too much hassle. I also have bootcamp on my 2013, which shows in Storage and don't want to transfer that (probably wont transfer anyway, right? but wanted to make sure)

I already deleted too many unwanted files when upgraded my ssd, from original apple ssd to NVMe about a year ago and now my main concern is apps at the moment and also bootcamp partition.

should I only transfer USER? or shall I transfer files and folders too? what is the best way to do it? Migrant assistant over WiFi? I chatted with apple advisor and were told there is not a wire option!

I read so many article already regarding this transmition and most suggested only doing User and not even files and folders but since I also have bootcamp partition and also my ssd is not original apple SSD, I thought to ask your export opinion before starting the migration.

Thank you for your help and input in advance.

Bootcamp does not work on M series Mac— you can through a third part Virtuall Machine

The most trouble free way to move to a new machine, is using the Setup Assistant on the initial boot of a brand new machine— you have one shot here. Set up your MacBook Pro - Apple Support

The second best way is use the Migration Assistant.

How to move your content to a new Mac Transfer to a new Mac with Migration Assistant - Apple Support

Cable question over here: Old macbook to new macbook data transfer … - Apple Community

If you have an external backup you can use the simple adapter: USB-C to USB Adapter - Apple

Jul 12, 2024 8:42 PM in response to Roxham7

Here's what I suggest:

(1) Your 2013 MacBook Pro can run Catalina, 10.15.7. This process may go smoother if you update that older computer to its most recent MacOS possible.

(2) Your old MacBook has high speed USB ports, up to 5 Gbps. I suggest you do a backup (Time Machine works well for these migrations) to a fast external SSD (or HDD if you want to save money but it will take longer). Look for an SSD that comes with connectors for both USB 3 and USB-C; alternatively get the Apple adaptor for USB 3 <=> USB-C.

As leroy suggests, best way to migrate from the old to the new is to select that option on the first boot up with Setup Assistant. (Migration Assistant will also work if but Setup Assistant works smoothest). Connect your backup and point Setup Assistant (or Migration Assistant) to that external drive.

For the migration, since your previous Mac is quite old and some formats changed, I would transfer only User accounts and files, nothing else. Then install software with fresh modern versions.

Migration from rMBP to MacBook Pro M3 MAX (Intel to M3 apps) - macOS BIG SUR 11.7.10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.