You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Gmail is taking up 1/2 my hard drive

My Gmail application is over 240 gigs. Following Apple Support Community advice I have found that the Drafts.mbox folder contains 246 gigs. This screenshot shows the folder and its location.

Is it safe for me to just trash this entire folder and will this remove all of those gigs?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 14.5

Posted on Jul 15, 2024 9:06 AM

8 replies

Jul 15, 2024 11:58 AM in response to Kurt Lang

OK. I've updated the settings in Gmail.com, but most were already set as you recommend. I've saved and quit and relaunched, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Just to be clear, the screen shot I put in my post is of Finder, not my Gmail. My Gmail has always shown the trash folder and I've always kept it pretty empty.

Jul 15, 2024 11:14 AM in response to john_k1

Duh! (me). The trash may be hidden. What you see listed for a Google account is what you allow to show or hide.

Go to gmail.com and login to your email account. Click on the settings gear towards the top right and choose See All Settings. Click on the Labels tab. Of the various labels you can control, for the Trash, make sure the show button is selected, and the Show in IMAP box is checked.

Save the changes, then quit Mail and relaunch it. The trash should then appear.

If it doesn't, your Gmail account may be in limbo mode.

Go back into the settings online and click the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab. If you've never looked here, the default is that nothing is properly selected. That is, neither the POP nor IMAP radio button is set to Enabled. What happens then is Gmail tries to behave as both and every email gets downloaded to every device you access your mail from, despite appearing to be working as an IMAP account.

Click the radio button to Enable IMAP and save the changes. Once again quit Mail and relaunch it.

This may, or may not purge the pile of data on your drive, but all you can do is try and see what happens.

Jul 15, 2024 12:21 PM in response to john_k1

Oh! Sorry. The left column of the a Finder window looks nearly identical to Mail's left column. Though the Tags and other entries further down from the top should have been a huge clue.

I dug deeper into my own system. The Mail folder in my account is 47 MB. Of which this subfolder…

/Users/xxxxxxx/Library/Mail/V10/MailData/RemoteContentURLCache/fsCachedData

…takes up 22.8 MB of that. I have no idea what that data is. If you try to look at any of them in TextEdit or BBEdit, you see it's binary data, which displays as a lot of gobbledygook.

I might play with that to see what it is. But otherwise, I can't explain the huge amount of space your mail data is taking up.

Jul 15, 2024 12:28 PM in response to Kurt Lang

Okay, that fsCachedData folder is safe to empty. What that's for is any images in your emails. Each time you click on any email that had small images in it (like an Amazon order), an entry gets added back to that folder.

I click on every single email in Mail to see how big it would get. With image data downloaded for all existing emails, the folder is now only 3.3 MB. Down from 22.8 MB.

So, that may be where a lot of your data is sitting. In old, no longer needed or used cached image data.

Jul 15, 2024 3:23 PM in response to Kurt Lang

Thanks for digging into this issue.

I just deleted all of the files in my fsCachedData folder. All together, the files only added up to 80 megs. So, that's not it.

The screenshot I posted earlier shows the location of 240 gigs worth of files, so I know where to find them. I'm just not sure if I can safely delete every one of them. Any insight you can provide would be appreciated.

Jul 15, 2024 4:17 PM in response to john_k1

Well, that's not overly surprising since they're only tiny images used in email body copy. But still, that's 80 MB freed up for the moment.

Other than that, I can only make guesses about the known location of this huge trove of data. Such as, do you know if there are a lot of attachments in your various emails? Mainly, large still images or video files?

Gmail is taking up 1/2 my hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.