You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

How do I transfer Final Cut for iPad project via USB-C Cable to Mac?

I export as a "Final Cut Pro for iPad Project" [why do you call it "Project" Apple?! It's a Library! A Project is the word you chose for something else in FCPX], and then I see options such as Save to Files or AirDrop.

AirDrop is 200-300 times slower than using a USB-C cable, so naturally I'd prefer to plug the iPad Pro into my Mac Studio. However, when I do that after saving the project to Files, the project isn't visible in the "Files" section of the iPad's Finder window.

This means I'm effectively forced to either purchase an external drive to do the fast file transfer, or use 200-300 times slower AirDrop.

The official support article says you can "Save the project to a storage device or connected computer". How? The Mac doesn't appear on the iPad. Research shows Macs don't show up on iPad's file browser.

I'm surprised not to have seen this covered anywhere. Why can't I just drag it from Finder on my Mac, to a Mac folder?

Mac Studio (2023)

Posted on Jul 15, 2024 6:02 PM

5 replies

Jul 15, 2024 6:20 PM in response to AppleIIme

I don't have FCP for iPad so you may have already seen this, but the docs make it sound like the computer should be connected prior to saving so that it appears in the Files.app.

• Save the project to a storage device or connected computer: If you’ve already connected your iPad to an external device using the Files app , tap Save to Files, tap the device name in the sidebar, tap a folder on the right, then tap Save.
  • If you don’t see the device or server in the sidebar, you may need to connect to it in the Files app. See Connect to external devices or servers with the Files app in the iPad User Guide.

How do I transfer Final Cut for iPad project via USB-C Cable to Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.