You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wake for network access not working for HTTP port (80)

I have a macbook pro with m3 chip and a web server running in it. The web server is running a private website that is only accessible in my home LAN.

The macbook sits with lid closed in my desk and is always connected to power, so I have configured "wake for network access" and it seems to work very well for SSH access or for ping (I can always ping or ssh into the machine).

One problem I have is that it seems accessing the web server port (80) doesn't wake the mac. If I try to access it in the browser, the website is never loaded (browser wheel spinning, like it was loading the website) and eventually fails. However if I SSH into the mac while trying to load the website, it is loaded instantly.

It seems like the mac only wakes for network access if I use SSH port (22). Is there I way I can configure it to also wake on accessing port 80?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 14.5

Posted on Jul 25, 2024 7:59 AM

1 reply

Jul 25, 2024 12:43 PM in response to ThiagoPadilha

ThiagoPadilha wrote:

I have a macbook pro with m3 chip and a web server running in it. The web server is running a private website that is only accessible in my home LAN.

The macbook sits with lid closed in my desk and is always connected to power, so I have configured "wake for network access" and it seems to work very well for SSH access or for ping (I can always ping or ssh into the machine).

One problem I have is that it seems accessing the web server port (80) doesn't wake the mac. If I try to access it in the browser, the website is never loaded (browser wheel spinning, like it was loading the website) and eventually fails. However if I SSH into the mac while trying to load the website, it is loaded instantly.

It seems like the mac only wakes for network access if I use SSH port (22). Is there I way I can configure it to also wake on accessing port 80?

Some port information here:

TCP and UDP ports used by Apple software products - Apple Support

Wake for network access not working for HTTP port (80)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.