You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

stolen iphone recovery key set on account

so iPhone was stolen and then a recovery key was placed on the Apple ID account and Apple says there's no way that they can help me back into my account regardless of what I'm willing to show or prove I'm the original owner...no help at all and i have a new iphone with the original phone number associated with the apple ID.

Posted on Aug 1, 2024 7:55 PM

3 replies

Aug 1, 2024 8:09 PM in response to bpadoyle

What Apple told you is the truth. They do not have your Recovery Key and have no way of accessing the data on your account without it. No one would be able to set a Recovery Key on your account unless they have the Passcode to get into your phone and the Apple ID Password to add the Recovery Key. This is highly unlikely unless you have given them that information. When it comes to the Recovery Key, this is what Apple says:

This gives you more control of your account recovery methods and can help prevent an attacker from gaining access to and taking control of your account. However, if you lose your recovery key and can’t access one of your trusted devices, you'll be locked out of your account permanently.

Aug 2, 2024 6:13 AM in response to bpadoyle

bpadoyle wrote:

but I have a trusted device and apple says that doesn't help without me also having the recovery key which was setup by the person who stole the iphone.

Below are the steps to follow to create a new Recovery Key from a Trusted Device. A Trusted Device is one that is currently signed into your Apple ID account. You have given no indication that you have another device that is signed into your account. Having a new iPhone with a phone number associated with the Apple ID does not make that a Trusted Device if it is not signed into your account,

https://osxdaily.com/2021/09/20/replace-lost-recovery-key-iphone-ipad/

stolen iphone recovery key set on account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.