You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restore Mac Book Pro to Factory Settings

TLDR: former employees computer. Tried to wipe and send to Apple for discount on machine for new employee. Was returned as couldn’t factory reset. Trying to do myself.

so, had a former employee buy a Mac vs PC. Our IT is PC centric. When he left the company we tried to send in his Mac Book to get a discount on a new Mac Book for a new joiner in our marketing department.

bought the new MBP and sent in the old one. Old one was returned saying they can’t factory reset it (how is it possible that Apple themselves can do this?). They sent it back basically bricked.

trying to refurbish to give to one of my kids and have tried to reinstall the operating system but keep getting “No Bag Error”. How can this be resolved?

surely there is a way past this no?

Posted on Aug 10, 2024 8:39 AM

2 replies

Aug 10, 2024 5:04 PM in response to Boston_Garrett

Boston_Garrett wrote:

TLDR: former employees computer. Tried to wipe and send to Apple for discount on machine for new employee. Was returned as couldn’t factory reset. Trying to do myself.

so, had a former employee buy a Mac vs PC. Our IT is PC centric. When he left the company we tried to send in his Mac Book to get a discount on a new Mac Book for a new joiner in our marketing department.

bought the new MBP and sent in the old one. Old one was returned saying they can’t factory reset it (how is it possible that Apple themselves can do this?). They sent it back basically bricked.

trying to refurbish to give to one of my kids and have tried to reinstall the operating system but keep getting “No Bag Error”. How can this be resolved?

surely there is a way past this no?

What exact Mac is this?

≥ 2018 models (Intel or M1), then you can "Restore" the firmware by putting the Mac into DFU mode. This removes all locks from the 2018+ USB models.

How to revive or restore Mac firmware - Apple Support

How to revive or restore Mac firmware - Apple Support

Aug 11, 2024 4:51 PM in response to leroydouglas

This is a MacBook Pro. I am able to get to the internet by starting with CMD and R internet recovery starts.

the computer then restarts and MacOS Utilities pops up.

when I select “reinstall macOS” it offers to install MacOS Sierra.

it then messages “to download and I restore macOS, your computer’s eligibility will be verified with Apple”

why I hit contribute I get the “No bag entry” error.

Restore Mac Book Pro to Factory Settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.