You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery "error" message following battery replacement on iphone XR.

Hi, my son's iphone XR battery definitely needs replacing (it's approx 78% capacity). If replacement with a non Apple battery, the battery health info is lost and this can only be overcome by either switching the bms board from the original battery to the new one. I did ring Apple Support and was told this message doesn't occur with a genuine Apple battery with no need to worry about the loss of battery health info. However I rang a local repair shop who said they use genuine Apple batteries and that message will still appear until the phone software is updated. Apple store can update the software immediately as they have immediate access to software. Other repairers can't as they dont so will be about 3-4 weeks before a software update is issued.

I honestly don't know who to believe any more so is there anyone out there with any experience of changing the XR battery with either an Apple or non Apple battery and what happened with any resulting "non Apple component/battery health not available" info as a result.

Any advice would be much appreciated .... thank you for reading.

iPhone 6s, iOS 15

Posted on Aug 15, 2024 7:30 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2024 9:35 AM

Yes, it would be lost forever. You do not have the necessary tools to pair the battery with the logic board.

9 replies

Aug 15, 2024 7:42 AM in response to celinego

Do NOT get the battery replaced by an unauthorized repair shop. Have it done by Apple or an authorized service provider and you won’t have problems.

if you have it done by an unauthorized shop (unauthorized shops do NOT have legitimate access to genuine Apple parts), you will render the device unsupportable and untouchable by Apple.

Aug 15, 2024 8:20 AM in response to KiltedTim

Thanks Tim. I could actually replace the battery myself (have done so with many other phones) but none of them, as older models, encountered the battery health info loss. Even the Apple Support phone agent said I could do it myself if I used a genuine Apple battery. Apple Support website also has a Do It Yourself section for certain models and will sell you the parts required along with a user instruction manual to follow. Also, the XR is well out of warranty now and support for it stops in 2025 anyway.

I'm basically asking if anyone else can clarify that if I use a genuine Apple battery, does it still result in the losing the battery health info AND if this does actually resolve itself on the next software update. Because if the answer is yes and it didn't resolve itself with the next software issue, then clearly the Apple Store is the way to go so they can overcome that immediately.

Aug 15, 2024 9:30 AM in response to KiltedTim

Thanks again Tim. I noted on site that the Self Service Repairs are for later models than XR. What I was thinking was sourcing a genuine Apple battery myself (and I'm aware of unscupulous sellers saying it's a genuine Apple battery when it isn't or is an old one or a used one re-wrapped to give wrong information).

But if I DID find a genuine Apple battery (which Apple don't sell to customers), would the battery health info still be lost .... forever or just for 3-4 weeks or after a software update.

I am 99% at telling my son to book an appointment at his local Apple store ... I'm just trying to absolutely confirm that there is no way I could successfully do this myself with a genuine Apple battery and a 3-4 wait till the software updates. I don't know software update is expected ... or if it would resolve it. Just doing my due dilligence, also because he's thinking of buying a refurbished iPhone 14 instead and giving me the current XR. I'm pretty happy with my current iPhone 6s (!!!) other than I'm not overkeen on the camera the XR's camera is way better. He's 22 though and uses his phone much more than I do mine. But I think even if I do get his XR, I'd still want access to battery health and use. Many thanks again :)

Aug 15, 2024 10:25 AM in response to celinego

But if I DID find a genuine Apple battery

If you DID somehow find a genuine battery......other than robbing one from a new phone.....AND....there were any issues either with the battery itself or the installation / calibration......Apple will refuse to even look at the phone because of tampering by an unauthorized person.

Are you willing to take that risk?

By the way, you don't have to deal with the crowds at the Apple Store unless you want to. There may be other authorized Apple repair shops that are more convenient. Most do not even require an appointment, although it would be wise to call in advance to make sure that the shop has the battery you need in stock.

You can find a list of authorized Apple service shops in the area by using this link:

Find Locations

Aug 15, 2024 1:29 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks Bob. I'm not worried about Apple Store crowds. The nearest and most convenient location is actually an Apple Store itself within a 15 min drive from home. I'd book an appointment first.

Now for a completely different question! Is an appointment booked for the purpose of just taking the phone to them and saying what's needed, ie battery replacement .... or actually doing the battery replacement during the appointment whilst you wait ... or both. Might seem a silly question but I've never used a store before and just want to be prepared. Many thanks.

Aug 15, 2024 2:29 PM in response to celinego

When you book an appointment and provide the details, the Apple Store knows why you are coming.

If things are not too busy when you arrive, you can wait the 30-45 minutes required to replace the battery. If it were me though, I would plan to run another errand or two or grab some lunch and then come back to pick up the phone. The tech is not going to stop what he/she is doing at the time to replace the battery.

If it's a busy Saturday, you may be asked to return in 2-3 hours.

The battery service will be about $100 plus tax.

Battery "error" message following battery replacement on iphone XR.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.