You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Mac Keyboard shows different characters when typing

When I type in using my internal keyboard on the MacBook, it shows different characters like this ˚¬˚¬˚¬˚¬˚¬˚¬˚¬ and when I select a link on the website, it downloads instead of opening the website. I tried restart, shut down and called Apple Support team for troubleshooting but it was not resolved. But then when I tried to restart, shut down again, it resolves on its own. However this is a recurring issue. Checking some websites and the Apple Community, found many users having the same issue and its weird that I read some post way back 2013. Is it an issue with Apple? Internal keyboard and Safari malfunctioning down the road? Purchased MacBook way back 2022 so its now 2 years old

Posted on Aug 20, 2024 9:26 PM

5 replies

Aug 20, 2024 9:33 PM in response to MaryKarenGestopa

"Mac Keyboard shows different characters when typing: When I type in using my internal keyboard on the MacBook, it shows different characters like this ˚¬˚¬˚¬˚¬˚¬˚¬˚¬ and when I select a link on the website, it downloads instead of opening the website. I tried restart, shut down and called Apple Support team for troubleshooting but it was not resolved. But then when I tried to restart, shut down again, it resolves on its own.[...]"

-------

Troubleshooting Unfamiliar Keyboard Outputs:

A. Restore from a Backup:

Did you create a backup of your Mac prior to occurrence? Is so, then restore from the backup. If not, then take this as a learning experience, knowing to always backup your Mac, prior making any major changes to your Mac (i.e. updating the MacOS).

B. Try Safe Mode:

In Safe Mode, login items do not run, and corrupt system files(i.e. caches) are intentionally reset as a way to fix issues

1. Boot: in to Safe Mode: [Hold Down: shift key upon boot].
  2. Log in: as same user
  3. Wait: 30 seconds
  4. Restart; your Mac
  5. Log in: as same user
  6. Open: [the app]
  7. See fi the issue persists.

C. Single-Out this User:

Try a pre Administrator user, seeing if you do not get this occur while in it. If so, then it is an issue with the configuration of the current user. If not, then it is an issue with the entire Mac, in which case you should reinstall the macOS. See below...

D. Reinstall the macOS:

Nothing would be deleted. It's just that items that have become corrupted or deleted, would be replaced or reinstalled back to where they should be. Go Here: How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple SupportImportant: Be certain to create a backup of your Mac prior to performing the reinstall. That way, you can have something to restore from the Mac from, should anything go wrong with the reinstall. Once reinstalled, try this once more, seeing if you still get this error.

Aug 20, 2024 9:34 PM in response to MaryKarenGestopa

"Mac Keyboard shows different characters when typing: [...]However this is a recurring issue. Checking some websites and the Apple Community, found many users having the same issue and its weird that I read some post way back 2013. Is it an issue with Apple? Internal keyboard and Safari malfunctioning down the road? Purchased MacBook way back 2022 so its now 2 years old"

-------

Troubleshooting Unfamiliar Keyboard Outputs:

Report this to Apple:

Do your Part: So, did this all start after installing this update? Question is: "How many people have let Apple know about this bug?"  Apple wont get back to you directly, but the more feedback they receive on this, the more they will know what bugs are occurring, and what needs to be fixed. Apple will know nothing of your issues, if you don't report them to them.

Giving Feedback:

1. Go Here: Feedback - iPhone - Apple
  2. Select: "Bug Report" for the "Feedback Type"
  3. Comment: that this all started after installing an update. Include the URL of this thread.
  4. Proceed From there as necessary

Aug 21, 2024 2:32 AM in response to MaryKarenGestopa

MaryKarenGestopa wrote:

When I type in using my internal keyboard on the MacBook, it shows different characters like this ˚¬˚¬˚¬˚¬˚¬˚¬˚¬ and when I select a link on the website, it downloads

Which keys exactly make those characters?

Downloading a weblink means the machine thinks the option key is depressed.

Do you have the same problem if you use an external keyboard?

Mac Keyboard shows different characters when typing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.