You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

MacBook Air - Forgot Password & Apple ID not working?

My daughter has used my MacBook Air with her own login for so long that I can’t remember what my password is & when I try to start up through the Recovery OS it asks me to enter my Apple ID & password, however this isn’t working either due to a “network error”, but it is connected to my network!

Soooo what the heck do I do to get into this thing?

Please help

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Sep 7, 2024 5:34 AM

1 reply

Sep 8, 2024 7:46 PM in response to Bianca_1979

Re: MacBook Air - Forgot Password & Apple ID not working?

Seems you are using MacOS 10.12 (MacOS Sierra) on your Mac ... ie: is earlier than MacOS Mojave (MacOS 10.14)

For a Mac with MacOS Mojave or earlier:

See the various options in the article below to choose what seems best for you:

How to: Change or reset the password of a macOS user account in macOS Mojave or earlier - Apple Support

Eg:

Re: "My daughter has used my MacBook Air with her own login for so long

that I can’t remember what my password is"

If your daughter has "Admin" privileges:

once logged into her account your password may be able to be reset from there (see above article)

or

If you are actually using a Mac that has a newer MacOS version installed:

For a Mac with MacOS Catalina (MacOS 10.15) or Later:

See what to do: If you forgot your Mac login password - Apple Support

Also, if needed:

If you forgot your password, and / or Apple ID:

https://iforgot.apple.com/password/verify/appleid

Re: "when I try to start up through the Recovery OS it asks me to enter my Apple ID & password,

however this isn’t working either due to a “network error”, but it is connected to my network!"

Network security has likely changed a lot since Mac OS Sierra, and much newer MacOS versions are mostly in use.

Eg: If you haven't upgraded your Apple ID to two-factor authentication, your account uses security questions to help keep it secure.

Otherwise: A Verification code is mostly required when using an Apple ID:

You could try logging in to your Apple ID Account online, and see if you can update your info. / settings:

https://appleid.apple.com/

What to do: If you forgot the answers to your Apple ID security questions - Apple Support

Eg: says:

“If you answer your security questions incorrectly too many times in a row, you will be temporarily unable to use your security questions. Try to reset your questions after the waiting period ends”.

How to: Change your Apple ID security questions - Apple Support

Two factor authentication has mostly replaced the use of security questions:

About: Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

and

How to: Get a verification code and sign in with two-factor authentication - Apple Support

All the best :-)

MacBook Air - Forgot Password & Apple ID not working?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.