You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Notes App lagging after iOS 18 Update

Following install of iOS 18 notes is lagging significantly. All other app improvements are working well. No other issues.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Sep 19, 2024 3:22 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2024 9:59 AM

Re-opening and closing the app (at least 20 times) didn’t work for me. It kept freezing whenever I tried to open any Note. I eventually figured out that the problem was caused by my having one particularly large Note (over 35MB including embedded photos). I finally got that Note to open in the Cloud by waiting several minutes. I then spent several more minutes trimming it down. Then Notes started working okay.

Frustrating that I lost the vast majority of that Note (I couldn’t Share it anywhere; Notes would just freeze). But at least I can now use Notes again.

Apple clearly did not user-test iOS 18 with a large Note!!! 😡

16 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 26, 2024 9:59 AM in response to jackfromhampshire

Re-opening and closing the app (at least 20 times) didn’t work for me. It kept freezing whenever I tried to open any Note. I eventually figured out that the problem was caused by my having one particularly large Note (over 35MB including embedded photos). I finally got that Note to open in the Cloud by waiting several minutes. I then spent several more minutes trimming it down. Then Notes started working okay.

Frustrating that I lost the vast majority of that Note (I couldn’t Share it anywhere; Notes would just freeze). But at least I can now use Notes again.

Apple clearly did not user-test iOS 18 with a large Note!!! 😡

Sep 20, 2024 1:35 AM in response to jackfromhampshire

Same goes for me.

I was very excited for the "Collapsible sections", so I immediately used it on a super long note I've had for the past year or so. As soon as I did that it started lagging terribly and now it's basically almost impossible to use, considering how slow it is.

It does this both on my Macbook M1 (2020) and my iPhone 12. I don't think the device matters though, I think it's something that hopefully will be fixed through future updates.

Oct 5, 2024 6:09 PM in response to jackfromhampshire

This is happening with a large note both on iOS 18 and macOS Sequoia. The note eventually (after maybe a minute?) opens on iOS, but is so laggy that the keyboard lags about a second behind my typing. On mac, it takes about 10-20 seconds to open the note. The performance is noticeably a little laggy on mac as I type as well, but nowhere near as bad as iOS.

Frustrating - the main reason I use apple notes is because it's so fast to open and begin typing versus other note apps.

Notes App lagging after iOS 18 Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.