You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

New iPad Pro 13" (M4) not updating to IOS18

Any one else buy a new iPad Pro 13" (M4) and cannot update to IOS18? And why isn't this preloaded with the most current IOS? It is essentially a brick because I cannot restore from backup until I can update to IOS18.

This should have been mentioned during the purchase and trade-in of my old device.

iPad Pro, iPadOS 17

Posted on Sep 22, 2024 3:46 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2024 10:39 AM

IOS18 for iPads has been pulled due to it bricking the device.

3 replies

Sep 24, 2024 2:04 PM in response to Hedwig1964

Yes, contacted Apple Support about this issue of the latest update to iOS18, which does not appear now. I had upgraded to 17.7 and was waiting for a week or more for any bug's to be fixed with like 18.1. However, it is not even offered now when checking software updates. Support was having me reset my Networking, even we I asked about a bug issue. It wasn't untill 40 minutes later they say another inquiry and had a return in which there was a problem with iOS18 and the latest iPads M4.

Now software can be touchy with so many different products that will use this iOS. However, it is somewhat a blackeye since it has 'bricked' several iPad Pro with M4 chip.

Just glad I waited to see how it all played out before attempting the new install.

I did update my iPhone 15 Pro Max to 17.7, however iOS 18 does show available for that device! I will wait for a few weeks longer and see when 18.1 is released and then give that some time as well just to play it safe.

Best to all!

New iPad Pro 13" (M4) not updating to IOS18

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.