You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Application installation on macOS from iOS

Dear Community,

Is there a way through which we can install applications from the AppStore from a device to another device (e.g. access ApStore on iOS and install an application on macOS)?

Since most of the times our MacBooks are in a stand-by mode, I feel like this is somehow a key ecosystem feature.

Posted on Sep 26, 2024 8:38 AM

5 replies

Sep 26, 2024 9:19 AM in response to _AlinM_

The mac operating system is Mac OS. The iPhone and iPads use the iOS operating system. They are different operating systems and, therefore, normally require different versions of apps which are written to operate on each OS. Some newer Macs can, and do, allow download and installation of certain apps from the Apple AppStore which will work on both operating systems. So, it depends on what Mac you have and which app you want to use. You cannot install an app directly from one different device, such a an iPhone, to an iMac.

Sep 26, 2024 10:08 AM in response to Ronasara

Thank you for your reply, Ronasara!

Completely agree with you, but my inquiry was about using an iOS device (be it an iPhone or an iPad) to install applications, remotely, on a macOS device (which could be an iMac, MacBook or a Mac).

The applications I’m referring to are applications targeted to that device to which I want to install the app.

As an example, if you are familiar with the Xbox app available on mobile devices, I can use that application to install games on my Xbox console.

Hope it’s more clear now.

Sep 26, 2024 10:59 AM in response to _AlinM_

No, you cannot use another device to install apps on a Mac, not in the way I think you mean. The only way to install remotely would be to use screen sharing of some sort to allow you to take control of the Mac so you can then on that Mac download apps from the Mac App Store or download them from the developer and run the installation process.

Regards.

Application installation on macOS from iOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.