You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

OS X El Capitan: Not able to reinstall because of an error

I got a MacBook Pro from a friend. I'm not sure what the exact model is but definitely an early 2010's or late 2000's Mac. I factory reset the MacBook and tried to reinstall OS X. I erased the Macintosh HD and proceeded to reinstall. Once I get to the installing page and continue I get an error saying, "An error occurred while preparing the installation. Try running this application again." I tried multiple times, probably over 20 times and it never let me continue to the next step. Can someone help me resolve this issue? I have contacted Apple Support and they were no help.

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Sep 29, 2024 10:36 AM

3 replies

Oct 1, 2024 9:14 PM in response to dk0511

Get the exact model of the laptop by entering the system serial number on the check coverage page here (please do not post the serial number on this forum since it is considered personal information):

Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support

Try booting into Internet Recovery Mode using Command + Option + R to see if you can access the online High Sierra installer and to avoid booting to the internal recovery partition.

Do you have access to another working Mac from 2007 to mid-2018? If so, then you can use that other Mac to download & create a bootable macOS USB installer. The exact model of that other Mac will determine which version of macOS installer you can create.

If it is a 2010 Mac, then you can use the original gray OS X 10.6.x Snow Leopard Restoration DVD. If it is an earlier model, then you will need the OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard Upgrade DVD. Your friend should have these if it was a 2010 model & they should now be yours). Once you have Snow Leopard installed, then you can install macOS 10.11 (you will need to download it using any other computer & transfer the DMG to this Mac). If you have a 2011 or later model, then Internet Recovery Mode (Command + Option + R) or a bootable USB installer are your only options.

There is a good chance the laptop has some sort of hardware issue (sometimes people just want to get rid of junk so they pawn it off to unsuspecting friends). Try running the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected. Unfortunately the diagnostics rarely detect issues, but it never hurts to try. A worn out or failing hard drive is a very likely possibility.

Oct 4, 2024 8:16 PM in response to dk0511

What step did you get to now?

And which one of my steps did you use which allowed you to progress further?

How far along with the boot or installation process did you get?

Is "error code 403" the only thing listed in the error message? Can you post a picture of the screen showing this error?

Edit: If you were able to install OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, then is the 403 error from trying to use a browser to access the Apple site? If so, then you need to use any other computer and any other OS which is able to access the Internet to download the macOS 10.11 El Capitan installer....then transfer that downloaded DMG installer file to the Mac running OSX 10.6 so you can follow the instructions in the following Apple article to extract the real installer into the Applications folder where you can run the full installer to upgrade the computer (read the article carefully):

How to download and install macOS - Apple Support

OS X El Capitan: Not able to reinstall because of an error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.