You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

How much time to take iOS 18.0.1 update during new iphone 16 initial setup.

I am getting only "software update" message without any progress for long time. Purchased a new mobile and trying to setup, during this process it says about software update. I clicked on update action. From that onwards it shows

software update.

Waited for more than 15 mins, still it is showing same. When it will complete ?

iPhone 16

Posted on Oct 6, 2024 7:33 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2024 9:55 AM

I have the same issue when setting up a new iPad. I can’t get past the OS 18.0.1 update as part of the data transfer from my old iPad.

7 replies

Oct 6, 2024 9:58 AM in response to SudheerSistu

Hello, some users have encountered a transfer problem if the new iPhone updates iOS during the transfer.

If this is your case, stop the update and configure your iPhone as a new iPhone, i.e. without transferring data. This will allow you to update iOS.

To stop the update, force restart the iPhone:

• Press quickly the volume+ button.
  • Press quickly the volume- button.
  • Press and hold the side button until the Apple logo appears. It can take up to 20 seconds.

Once the update is done, erase the iPhone (Settings > General > Transfer or Reset iPhone and tap Erase Content and Settings) then configure it again, this time by transferring data with Quick Start.

Oct 17, 2024 12:19 AM in response to SudheerSistu

I have experienced the exact same issue transferring from iphone 12 (ios 18.1) to iphone 15.

iOS 18.0.1 during initial setup just hangs.

After doing a setup as a new device with no data transfer, the first update wanted to start with iOS 17.7 and then eventually could get it to iOS 18.0.1.

Reset the iPhone and then setup with data transfer.

So perhaps the outdated version from being on the shelf for so long might have something to do with it?

How much time to take iOS 18.0.1 update during new iphone 16 initial setup.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.