Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Two iPads, one MBP

I have an iPad 64GB wifi + 3G synced to my MBP. Am thinking of getting my boyfriend the same for his birthday. Can I sync 2 iPads to my iTunes?
And what about sharing apps? Will I have to purchase them for his iPad as well as mine, or does Apple allow the apps to be on 2 iPads?
Or should I fall back to "plan b" and take him on a nice long weekend?

MacPro 2.66 Quad Core 8GB and MBP 2.53, iPod Touch 1stGen, Apple TV 320GB, Mac OS X (10.5.8), Apple Display 24", iPhone 4 32GB, iPad 3G 64GB

Posted on Aug 26, 2010 1:45 PM

5 replies

Aug 26, 2010 1:51 PM in response to Emilie in Key Largo

Yes, you can sync two iPads with a single iTunes, and each will have its own settings for what gets synched to it. You will not need to purchase the apps again, but you will have to have each iPad synched to the iTunes Store account through which the apps were purchased.

A nice long weekend would be great, though, I'm sure. 🙂

Regards.

Aug 26, 2010 1:52 PM in response to Emilie in Key Largo

Emilie in Key Largo wrote:
I have an iPad 64GB wifi + 3G synced to my MBP. Am thinking of getting my boyfriend the same for his birthday. Can I sync 2 iPads to my iTunes?

Yes - you may want to setup different preferences regarding each iPad; no prob. Each device will be treated as device of its own.

And what about sharing apps? Will I have to purchase them for his iPad as well as mine, or does Apple allow the apps to be on 2 iPads?

No need to re-purchase anything; you will be able to sync purchases to an unlimited number of iPads

Or should I fall back to "plan b" and take him on a nice long weekend?

Depends on your definition of "nice" - I guess I would choose "nice" 🙂

Aug 27, 2010 11:05 AM in response to Emilie in Key Largo

Really easy decision, I would go for the iPad and would invite you to a nice weekend to say "thank you" for the iPad… 🙂
And I would make you to let the iPad at home for the weekend to really enjoy it.

But to come back to your other questions…
You can easily use more then one device with your iTunes account…, there are some limitations and danger to be aware of:
• If you synch some Apps and/or music/movies to an other device, they can use it without any limitations. As soon as they have to update the App, they will be asked for YOUR iTunes account password. So either you give away your password (which you can change any time) with the knowledge that they can go shopping with your credit card (in the iTunes store or even in the Apple store if you have the same password there!!) and even more, they have access to your account info and even the password and can change it - so you would be looked out.
The other way would be that you download the updates to you computer and and synch it then.
• However, if your boyfriend has his own computer and likes to synch and backup the iPad there, then all the data form your account is erased as soon as he synchs the same category. So, if he likes to synch his own music, your music is deleted.
You can synch the iPad to two different computers, as long as you descried which data to synch from which computer. Music from computer A, Mail, Calendar and Address Book form computer B, Apps from computer A, Movies from computer B…

Maybe a more painless way is to send him the Apps as a Gift, but then you will be charged again.

By the way, don't forget to mark the helpful answers as solved/answered (if so), that will help other users to find a solution to their questions quickly…

enjoy your magic machine

Two iPads, one MBP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.