You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Does Reset All Settings option remove the iPhone passcode too and encrypted backup password question.

I have been trying to back up my iPhone 15 pro max to a new MacBook Pro. I previously had several encrypted backups on my old MacBook Pro and set the encryption password for the backups to something I would not forget. I went to create a backup of my iPhone on my new MacBook Pro and after I type in the encryption password on my computer then the passcode to the iPhone on my phone, it then tells me the encryption password is wrong. I don’t know how that’s possible because I set it to something I wouldn’t forget and I know the password. I looked online and read that if I use the “Reset All Settings” option on my iPhone it will remove the needed to have the encryption password for the new backups which I did because I don’t need the old backups anyway. After I did the reset my iPhone no longer had a passcode to unlock it and I had to set up a new password, do the Face ID again and the settings seemed to be reset.

Is that how resetting all settings works or is this unusual?

Oddly the password for my WiFi hotspot remained the same after the reset even though the network name changed back to ‘iPhone’ and several other things like I can no longer use my saved passwords automatically on safari and elsewhere but I can still see them when I go the section where they are all listed in the system settings.

Posted on Oct 11, 2024 6:23 PM

2 replies

Oct 11, 2024 6:30 PM in response to AskALotofQuestions

Reset All Settings will not reset the backup encryption password, because the password is part of the backup, not the phone.

If you haven’t erased the phone yet you can create a new backup with a new password—>About encrypted backups on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If neither of those work you get unlimited guesses, so try to guess what password you might have entered back when. If you are like most people it will be a password that you reused. And to speed up the process click to change the password and you will be prompted immediately.

Oct 15, 2024 8:50 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

The link you provided states otherwise at the last paragraph. Also that's not what the question is asking. I believe they are asking if resetting all settings removes the iPhone's passcode itself as in the login passcode. "Encrypted backup password" and "iPhone passcode" seem to be referring to two different things.

It appears as if you are incorrect and that resetting all settings does also reset the encrypted backup password associated with that phone and a new one will need to be created. If you can’t remember the password for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch encrypted backup - Apple Support

However once again I believe they want to know if the passcode to the iPhone also is by default removed and reset to nothing when all the settings are reset.

"...After I did the reset my iPhone no longer had a passcode to unlock it and I had to set up a new password, do the Face ID again and the settings seemed to be reset.

Is that how resetting all settings works or is this unusual?"

My answer to this question would be no it's not normal but I can't perform a reset to see.

Does Reset All Settings option remove the iPhone passcode too and encrypted backup password question.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.