You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

How change the Apple account associated with my Macbook (at a deep/root level)?

I have no idea how it happened, but when I set up my 2020 Macbook Air my daughter's (age 14) Apple account was associated with the computer at a very low level. I recently upgraded to Sequoia and did a clean wipe with fresh installation and it asked for her account and password instead of mine. How do I fix this? Surely there is a way...if I were to sell this computer the new owner would have to be able to use their credentials instead of the previous owner's. All I can find is how to change my Apple ID email address and that is NOT what I need. I need to change the ID that is associated with my Mac at the root security level.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 15.0

Posted on Oct 12, 2024 8:08 AM

10 replies

Oct 12, 2024 9:06 AM in response to PRP_53

I've tried logging in to her apple id. Many of our devices are listed under her as well as me. The issue I am talking about seems to go deeper than just deleting from the devices web page. The solution from "Servant" is probably correct but I don't feel like wiping everything and doing a full reinstall right now. Maybe next time I upgrade the OS.

Oct 12, 2024 9:11 AM in response to Wetsignal

Wetsignal wrote:

I just wiped/reinstalled everything and upgraded to Sequoia yesterday (and input her account info because I didn't know what else to do at the time). Do I have to erase and do everything again to fix this?

Yep. If you were going to sell or give away the Mac, you would stop after resetting. Once you add her account info, it is again associated with her Apple ID. If you wanted to set it up with a new user, you would enter that persons Apple ID.

Oct 12, 2024 9:29 AM in response to Mac Jim ID

OK. It doesn't really affect my usage of the computer, it's just annoying so I might wait until the next upgrade.

Also: maybe I missed it, but when I was setting up Sequoia I reached a screen where It asked for her username and password and it provided no option to change the account. I had to provide her info or I could not proceed with the installation and was not given the option to change anything.

But I did not do "Erase All Content and Settings" first because I simply wiped the drive booting from the USB install drive and thought that would be sufficient. Maybe I need to erase it through "Settings" first and then install from the USB in order to have the opportunity to change the account?

Oct 12, 2024 10:01 AM in response to PRP_53

We do have a Family Account but that is not what I am asking about. There is a deep setting in my Mac that thinks my daughter "owns" this computer and not me. I think I have it figured out though. I will update if I decide to try a full "Erase Content and Settings" before a reinstall via USB drive. Just doing a wipe and reinstall via USB did not let me change the "owner" of the computer.

Oct 12, 2024 8:14 PM in response to Wetsignal

There are two things here.

One, you must perform the steps as linked by @Servant of Cats. Plus read @Mac Jim ID's post again as well. Both posts are important.

Second, M-Series Macs has a new concept of ownership. Basically the first macOS admin user account is the Owner of that device. It is a bit murky about how this concept of ownership works with multiple admin user accounts. This means, go back to my point #1 again to configure the Mac as you wish it to be managed.

If you think of Apple devices as belonging only to one user, you will keep yourself out of trouble. Yes, I know macOS allows multiple admin user accounts and even limited standard user accounts due to the *nix background of macOS, but that is only an ancient part of macOS these days since Apple has added a lot more restrictions even to admin/root users. So make the first admin user account when initially setting up a clean OS the "owner" including their AppleID in order to manage the device & FindMy. Just remember any other macOS admin user accounts can manage the device as well in terms of system configurations at least.

Oct 12, 2024 9:28 PM in response to HWTech

I think my mistake was not using the "erase all content" function in settings first because frankly, I didn't know it existed on Macs (only iphones--my last Mac was a 2012 MBP), nor would I have thought it was necessary. Next time I do a fresh install I will do this first and it will likely let me change the "owner" when that screen pops up. Thanks to all as I think I have my solution. I still have no idea how her account became the default but that is another story.

How change the Apple account associated with my Macbook (at a deep/root level)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.