Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows Error 2 when trying to download iTunes 9 - HELP!

Hi,

Not sure of this is a Microsoft error or an Apple but I am trying to download the new iTunes on my Windows Vista computer and I'm getting the following error:

'Apple Application Support was not found
Apple Application Support is required to run iTunes. Please uninstall iTunes and then reinstall again
Error 2 (Windows Error 2)'

When I go into my Programmes, I can see that Apple Application Support is in there? I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling and am still getting the same error.

Has anybody else encountered this and know how to fix?

Thanks!!

Windows Vista

Posted on Aug 26, 2010 2:55 PM

9 replies

Sep 1, 2010 6:50 AM in response to Amy_Wright

Do you have a 32-bit or a 64-bit version of Vista, Amy? (That makes a different to how we go about fixing an error 2, because the program files for iTunes and Apple Application support live in different places on a 64-bit system than they do on a 32-bit version.)

If you're unsure, this document may be of some help:

[32-bit and 64-bit Windows: frequently asked questions|http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/32-bit-and-64-bit-Wi ndows-frequently-asked-questions]

Sep 1, 2010 12:16 PM in response to b noir

Hi b noir:
My exact error I get when installing iTunes prior to the rollback action is as follows:

An error occurred during the installation assembly 'Microsoft.VC80.CRT,version="8.0.50727.4053,type="win32",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3 b9a1e18e3b",processorArchitecture="x86". Please refer Help and Support for more information. HRESULT: 0x8007054f.

Thanks for your help.

Sep 2, 2010 7:31 AM in response to Jamez Miloshhh

HRESULT: 0x8007054f.

... that seems to have been the most popular alphanumeric code in recent days. (Just like katherine's one.)

In general, these ones tend to be caused by underlying problems on the PC that can prevent Windows Updates from installing. So my main strategy with them is to try to fix the Windows Update issues. If we can get Windows Updates flowing again, that generally clears up the iTunes install errors +en passant.+

Head into your Windows Update, and check for any new updates. Do any fail? If so, open your Update History and doubleclick on the failure entries to bring up a small box with alphanumeric error message codes. Are you getting 8000FFFFs? (They often seem to be associated with an iTunes-install 0x8007054f.)

If you're getting 8000FFFFs, try the following Microsoft document:

[Windows Update Error 8000FFFF|http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Windows-Update-Error- 8000FFFF]

Head back to Windows Update, and see if you can get Updates to install successfully this time. If you can get updates now, stock up on any updates you're behind on. Once you're completely up to date in that regard, try another iTunes install. Does it go through properly this time?

Sep 5, 2010 12:52 AM in response to b noir

Dear Noir
I get the error 2 message everytime I click on the Itunes icon and also AFTER I reinstall the installer. Do you have any advise on the problem I'm experiencing??

THanking you
Nadia

P.S. I've tried install iTunes10 although my computer previously had another version (not sure which). Should I try to reinstall the one I had?

Sep 5, 2010 1:04 AM in response to nadianadia

I get the error 2 message everytime I click on the Itunes icon and also AFTER I reinstall the installer. Do you have any advise on the problem I'm experiencing??

Hmmm ... if you've got the checkbox checked to launch iTunes immediately after the install completes, then the 2-after-install might just be another 2-when-launching, nadia.

Give us a few moments, and I'll show up in your topic to have a look at your situation there.

Windows Error 2 when trying to download iTunes 9 - HELP!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.