You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

iPad (8th Gen) won't enter Recovery Mode

Recently , Ive gotten locked out of my ipad because I suddenly forgot my password. I have an iPad 8th gen. So I followed apples instructions on how to get into recovery mode, but whenever i hold down the home button and plug it into my laptop, it would start flashing between the apple logo and the recovery screen.

Plus, whenever I turn the ipad off and plug it into my laptop it just wakes up immediately, not giving me any time to hold down the home button to get it into recovery mode.

Any advice would be appreciated 🙏🙏

[Re-Titled By Moderator]

iPad (8th generation)

Posted on Oct 17, 2024 11:22 AM

2 replies

Oct 18, 2024 4:00 AM in response to thir13een

Presumably your iPad indicates that it must be restored:

If you see the Restore screen on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

These support pages outline the available methods to restore an iPad - either from a backup, or to Factory Settings:

Restore your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch from a backup – Apple Support

Restore your iPhone, iPad or iPod to factory settings – Apple Support

Restore all content to iPad from a backup - Apple Support

You’ll need access to either a Windows PC (with iTunes for Windows installed) or a Mac (with iTunes or Finder - as appropriate for the installed version of macOS).

Download and use iTunes for Windows – Apple Support

Update to the latest version of iTunes – Apple Support

Use of a PC or Mac computer is unavoidable. If you don’t have access to a suitable computer of your own, that of a helpful friend or family member will suffice. Alternatively, the technicians at the Genius Bar of your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) will be delighted to assist.

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

iPad (8th Gen) won't enter Recovery Mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.