Apple Intelligence is now available on iPhone, iPad, and Mac!

Does searching photos by description work on a Mac?

Supposedly, Apple says, "Photos search lets you find photos and videos simply by describing what you’re looking for." Is that supposed to be true on a Mac? I don't see any way to do it on an M2 MacBook Air.

MacBook Air 15″, macOS 15.1

Posted on Oct 28, 2024 11:50 AM

4 replies

Oct 28, 2024 2:41 PM in response to K Shaffer

I did try the "new" Siri after the update today, but when I asked for something I had in my photo collection, "beautiful woman in mayan clothes" it delivered 6 pictures of men who were not Mayan and not in my photos. So, whatever Siri is now meant to do, it isn't that. Maybe Apple doesn't intend to give Macs search by photo description, or at some indeterminate date. I keep Siri active to set an alarm and tell me the time or temperature.

Oct 28, 2024 2:47 PM in response to Satchmo

I assume that you've enabled Apple Intelligence under Settings > Apple Intelligence & Siri and allowed some time for things to get set up. Difficult to know exactly what it supposed to be capable of, but I searched for Seasick Steve in the Photos app and it returned 55 images and videos from an album launch party I went to in June. I hadn't tagged any of the photos. I'm mildly impressed.

tt2

Oct 28, 2024 2:58 PM in response to turingtest2

No I haven't, thanks. For some reason — and I am dumbfounded that it didn't happen — Apple provided me no information at all about that necessity.

(Two minutes later...) Now that I look in settings, the only option available to me is to join an Apple Intelligence waiting list. So, did the update today actually provide any AI features to the Mac? At the top of this page it says, "Apple Intelligence is now available on iPhone, iPad, and Mac!"

Does searching photos by description work on a Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.