4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 27, 2010 3:54 PM by Carolyn Samit
Jonathan Hils Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
Just installed the latest updates on my MBP. Safari is not loading certain content in pages now. I can't even fully load my MobileMe sign-in page and can't select the sign-in button??! As I moved around some pages to see if other sites acted in a similar fashion, I discovered that Youtube can't place the preview panes (I see text in the header, but then everything else is blank). I've already uninstalled and reinstalled Flash & repaired permissions--- made not difference.

I also re-set Safari, but didn't re-set all my cookies. Did a MacScan on the entire hard drive-- no problems. Chrome is loading everything fine.

Any Ideas?

thanks-

15" MacBook Pro, intel core duo2, Mac OS X (10.6.4)
  • Carolyn Samit Level 10 Level 10 (98,720 points)
    HI Jonathan,

Go to Safari / Preferences then select the Security tab.

Deselect: Enable Plugins.

Relaunch Safari. If you can use Safari without a problem, then one or more third party Safari add-on may be causing the problem.

Login to another user account on your Mac. See if you can use Safari there ok.

Definitely delete any cookies related to any sites where you have problems logging on. Safari / Preferences - Security 'Show Cookies'

Carolyn
  • Jonathan Hils Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
    Carolyn,

I deleted cookies for youtube, auth.me.com, and all apple.com cookies. Without plug-ins enabled youtube main page still didn't work. It said I didn't have the flash player installed. When I enable plug-ins now, everything works fine for YT. MobileME is still a dead page on my main account no matter what. I set up another test user account on the laptop and MobileMe DOES load and work properly.

When the dead MobileMe page loads, everything is visible except the MobileMe icons for calendar, gallery, mail etc.... that run across the middle of the screen. I see the log-in but cannot type anything into the text boxes and the sign-in button is dead.

Any thoughts where I should look now. I logged in to MMe the 2 days ago- no problem. Did the latest software update yesterday afternoon and tried to log-in to MMe last night. That's when I discovered this problem.

Thanks-
  • Jonathan Hils Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
    Carolyn,

Never mind. I just isolated the problem. I had a few Safari extensions installed and on to test them out. I turned off the extensions and now MMe page loads. I guess I will either trash all the extensions or trouble shoot one by one until I figure out which of the 4 extensions is causing the problem. Any idea who to contact when I discover the rogue extension?
  • Carolyn Samit Level 10 Level 10 (98,720 points)
    Hi,

You can see the extension developers name in Safari / Preferences - Extensions

Just click on the name. It should take you straight to their site.

Deleting the extensions and adding one back in one at a time isn't that time consuming. I do it all the time to help users troubleshoot.

I am curious to know which extension caused the block though.