Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stop Time Machine backups to sparsebundle on local drive

Time Machine will recognize and continue to do backups to a sparsebundle that was created on a networked drive (via Airport) and subsequently then attached locally (i was surprised to learn!). Problem is when I go into Time Machine Restore mode, it does not reference that latest sparsebundle for file recovery, but uses the previous (out-of-date) normal Backups.backupdb database files making the sparsebundle useless. I need the best way to get TM to begin backing up to my old TM database now the drive is attached locally again.

I tried Pondini’s TM Troubleshooting Tips A4 (reset Time Machine) but TM still insisted on backing up to the sparsebundle instead of the backupdb.

iMac 27" i7-860 quad core W8003 2.8GHz, 2TB SATA, 16GB, ATI 4850 512MB, Mac OS X (10.6.4), iPhone 3G 16GB, Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz, Canon Pixma Pro9500 Mark II

Posted on Aug 27, 2010 6:15 AM

9 replies

Aug 29, 2010 7:32 PM in response to Pondini

I have a similar problem, but didn't quite understand the solution...

time machine/capsule backs up my macbook. Just got an imac, and copied the image to it. Didn't realize it REALLY copied the image to it... so Time Machine decided the new imac was the macbook. Now Time Capsule backs up the imac... but not the macbook anymore.

There is still a 425GB sparsebundle for the old macbook on the Time Capsule...

Question: Is there a way to reattach to that sparsebundle for backing up the macbook or do I have to start all over?

Thanks for your previous posts, very helpful!

Cheers,

BilFish

Aug 29, 2010 7:56 PM in response to BilFish II

BilFish II wrote:
I have a similar problem, but didn't quite understand the solution...

time machine/capsule backs up my macbook. Just got an imac, and copied the image to it. Didn't realize it REALLY copied the image to it... so Time Machine decided the new imac was the macbook.

No. Time Machine always knows which Mac is which, via an identifier that's embedded in the hardware on the logic board.

But it did copy the +Computer Name,+ which you can change via +System Preferences > Sharing.+

And it did copy the Time Machine preferences file (with the backup location you specified), so it backed-the new Mac up to the same destination.

Now Time Capsule backs up the imac... but not the macbook anymore.

There is still a 425GB sparsebundle for the old macbook on the Time Capsule...

Depending on how you answered this prompt, there may be two sparse bundles:
|

User uploaded file
|

See #B5 in Time Machine - Troubleshooting (or use the link in *User Tips* at the top of this forum), for details.

If you said +Create New Backup,+ there should be two sparse bundles, one for each Mac.

If you said +Reuse Backup,+ there should be one, containing the backups from both, and as it says, the MacBook can no longer use the same set of backups.

Question: Is there a way to reattach to that sparsebundle for backing up the macbook or do I have to start all over?

Probably. First confirm whether there's one sparse bundle or two, and roughly how many backups of the iMac you've done.

Aug 29, 2010 8:05 PM in response to Pondini

Ahh! Thank you for illuminating the process. Thanks much

I believe I did actually select Create New Backup, so I have two sparsebundles. One in use by the new imac, and one unused for two months is the one I'd like to get hooked back in with my macbook (which now has gone 2 months, I just discovered, without a backup).

In that scenario, is there a way to tell my macbook to attach to that old sparsebundle that's waiting around?

Cheers,

BilFish

Aug 29, 2010 8:16 PM in response to BilFish II

BilFish II wrote:
Ahh! Thank you for illuminating the process. Thanks much

I believe I did actually select Create New Backup, so I have two sparsebundles. One in use by the new imac, and one unused for two months is the one I'd like to get hooked back in with my macbook (which now has gone 2 months, I just discovered, without a backup).

In that scenario, is there a way to tell my macbook to attach to that old sparsebundle that's waiting around?

Yes. In fact, it probably still thinks it should be backing up to it. On the MacBook, go to Time Machine preferences. If Time Machine is OFF, just turn the slider ON and see what it does. If nothing, click +Select Disk,+ and select the old sparse bundle. You might have to double-click it in the Finder to get it to show up in the selection window.

If the backup fails, see #C2 in Time Machine - Troubleshooting. It will show you how to locate the message(s) that describe the problem, then help you fix it. If that doesn't help, post back with details, including all the messages, what you've done, and the results.

After that long a time, Time Machine will most likely do a large backup, including a "Deep Traversal," and it might even do a new, full backup, so connect to it via Ethernet cable if at all possible. It will be 2-3 times faster than even a good WIFI connection.

Stop Time Machine backups to sparsebundle on local drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.