Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Enter Key on Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad Not Mapping Correctly

The enter key on the numeric keypad maps to the command key and not to the enter key unless I boot in "safe mode". It then maps correctly. This does not appear to be a hardware problem.

Suspecting a settings problem, I have done the following without fixing:

1) removed all Login Items from account setting. This did not fix.

2) Moved ~+(yourHome)/Library/Contextual Menu Items+ and +/Library/Contextual Menu Items+ to the desktop. This did not fix.

Any ideas?

Mac Pro, iMac (G5), MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Aug 27, 2010 10:27 AM

8 replies

Aug 27, 2010 2:02 PM in response to PrDm

PrDm wrote:
Check the Keyboard Shortcuts window in Keyboard, System Preferences.

Thanks for the quick response. Alas, they are all at default levels. Wish it had been that.

I set up a test account and it has the same problem. I booted the machine off another drive and it did not have the problem. Because there is no problem with a safe boot or an alternate system drive, but the problem exists with all accounts on the production system, that it is a system level issue and not an account issue. Alas, the drive with the problem is my primary drive and the alternate drive is just that, a test drive use to check things with and has minimal applications.

Aug 28, 2010 6:49 AM in response to PrDm

You were most helpful as you forced me to check further. Thanks for the help!

This is more of a nagging problem than a serious one. In most cases, it doesn't hurt. I have both an Apple extended KB and a Logitech KB. The problem exists on both.

I have started using Final Cut Express 4 again and it does distinguish between return and enter. I have been using the keyboard viewer but that is dumb. 🙂

I too hope one of the "four star smart guys will show up."

Message was edited by: Russell Vaught

Sep 3, 2010 1:31 AM in response to gdunn

gdunn wrote:
Hi Russell, was this ever resolved? Thanks!

It has not. I have continued to try various things but none have worked. It is clearly software as all keyboards have the problem on the affected system but do not on an alternate. It is mostly an nuisance except when using *Final Cut,* which does distinguish between enter and return.

I strongly suspect it is the key mapping file that needs to be replaced. I just have not found the right one in Snow Leopard.

Sep 5, 2010 7:01 PM in response to Russell Vaught

I had a similar problem in that my numeric keypad enter key was acting as the command key.

Turns out I'd installed DoubleCommand ( http://doublecommand.sourceforge.net/) at some point, but never got around to using it. It just happens that the default setting for DoubleCommand is to have this key mapped to command.

Don't know if this is your problem, but you can check if it is installed by seeing if the configuration panel has been installed in SystemPreferences.

Sep 6, 2010 3:39 AM in response to atikat

atikat wrote:
I had a similar problem in that my numeric keypad enter key was acting as the command key.

Turns out I'd installed DoubleCommand ( http://doublecommand.sourceforge.net/) at some point, but never got around to using it. It just happens that the default setting for DoubleCommand is to have this key mapped to command.

Don't know if this is your problem, but you can check if it is installed by seeing if the configuration panel has been installed in SystemPreferences.

Bingo! I must have done the same and forgotten it. I downloaded the latest and reinstalled it. Now the +enter key+ does in fact map correctly. You get 5 gold stars!! Now Final Cut works correctly.

Enter Key on Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad Not Mapping Correctly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.