10 Replies Latest reply: Oct 17, 2011 7:22 AM by lemmons
ThatCoolGuyOverThere Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
My PC's C: drive has been 99% full for quite sometime now, which is why every thing I've saved or installed in the past year goes on my external HD. This is a problem since iTunes just assumes I don't really care where my phone is backed-up to and fills up the remaining 1% of my C: any time i try to backup. Is there anyway to backup my phone to my external hd instead?

., Other OS, .
  • DaVBMan Level 6 Level 6 (9,265 points)
    Well it goes to your profile application data folder. So there are settings to tell Windows to store your profile elsewhere. I don't have instructions on how, but know it is possible. However it will mean ALL your profile data will go to that place.

    Best suggestion is to upgrade your drive as running at that capacity I am sure doesn't help your computers performance.
  • wjosten Level 10 Level 10 (93,760 points)
    Is there anyway to backup my phone to my external hd instead?


    Not that I'm aware of. The iphone backup is not stored in your iTunes library, its stored here:

    * Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/
    * Windows XP: \Documents and Settings\(username)\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\
    * Windows Vista and Windows 7: \Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\

    I'd advise replacing your hard drive. Running any hard drive at that capacity is asking for trouble.
  • Allan Sampson Level 10 Level 10 (123,375 points)
    I'm not aware of a way to change the default location for the iPhone's backup. Not a good idea to have your computer's boot drive at 99% of the storage capacity - for virtual memory if needed, swap files, and for general operation. This can lead to a loss of data or data corruption. Is there any other data you can transfer from your computer's boot drive to the external drive?

    Even with your iTunes library stored on an external drive for music and video, I believe all 3rd party apps are stored in the Mobile Applications folder located in the iTunes folder on your computer's hard drive - not in the iTunes folder when stored on an external drive for music and video.
  • ThatCoolGuyOverThere Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    My computer is about 6 years old and I will be getting a new one in the near future so I don't want to waste any money upgrading this one. I just wanted to backup now to save time so I wouldn't have to wait until I get my new computer.
  • lsamis Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Do a Disk Cleanup it will delete unwanted files and compact others. There are many unwanted files on your computer that may be taking up space.

    Click Start | Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Disk Cleanup
    Click Start | Run and in the Open box type cleanmgr and click OK
  • DaddyOFTheMacDaddy Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)
    I'm not sure if this is what you're talking about, but if you open iTunes, go to the top left of the pane. You'll see the iTunes name; click there and open preferences. When the window pops up, click on the 'advanced' tab.

    There is the place to change the default location of iTunes.
  • Allan Sampson Level 10 Level 10 (123,375 points)
    This does not affect or change the location for the iPhone's backup.
  • Mark 112 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    I think replacing a hard drive is an EXTREME call here, i haev a 1TB drive, i have set aside 50 gig for my system drive to install Windows and all my applications, which is MORE than enough for what it needs to do as i keep all my data on the other 950 gig as any good computer person would. This Backup is using up a lot of my C drive and i want to be able to move it! To say put another hard dirve in is a crazy statemtent when all i want to do is move the backup location
  • Lynda Transcend Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    I am trying to upgrade to OS 5 on my iphone 3gs and having this same problem, ie it can't backup because there's not enough space on this computer's harddrive and it needs over 20 GIGS(!!!!) available to do the backup! My external HD has around 800 gigs available.  Suggestions to get a new harddrive are, in my opinion, totally ridiculous! It is also ridiculous but not surprising that iTunes would be so difficult as to not have a facility to change a backup location. Typical I'm afraid! I hope you may have had some success, Mark! Cheers :-)

  • lemmons Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

    I have posted a way to do this in Windows 7 here: https://discussions.apple.com/message/16413742#16413742

     

    I'm currently looking into how to do it in OSX