Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto very s-l-o-w now, since upgrade to Snow Leopard

My iPhoto '08 takes well over a minute (of spinning beach ball) upon opening, before it will allow me to execute any commands.
This is new behavior since I installed OS 10.6.4 last week.
I'm noticing other large applications are opening very slowly, too, such as InDesign.
My iMac is well maintained, I think. 2 Gigs of RAM. Hard Drive still has more than 50% free.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.4), MacBook, iPhone 4, iPad

Posted on Aug 27, 2010 1:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2010 2:34 PM

Given the lack of information it could be many things

some things to try

Run software update and be sure you are totally up to date

in the iPhoto preferences turn item counts off, set web sync to manual and turn off all sharing options

A good general step for strange issues is to renew the iPhoto preference file - quit iPhoto and go to "your user name" ==> library ==> preferences ==> com.apple.iPhoto.plist and trash it - launch iPhoto which creates a fresh new default preference file and reset any personal preferences you have changed and if you have moved the iPhoto library repoint to it. This may help

This does not affect your photos or any database information (keywords, faces, places, ratings, etc) in any way - they are stored in the iPhoto library - the iPhoto preference file simply controls how iPhoto works - which is why renewing it is a good first step.

LN
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 27, 2010 2:34 PM in response to J.Felix

Given the lack of information it could be many things

some things to try

Run software update and be sure you are totally up to date

in the iPhoto preferences turn item counts off, set web sync to manual and turn off all sharing options

A good general step for strange issues is to renew the iPhoto preference file - quit iPhoto and go to "your user name" ==> library ==> preferences ==> com.apple.iPhoto.plist and trash it - launch iPhoto which creates a fresh new default preference file and reset any personal preferences you have changed and if you have moved the iPhoto library repoint to it. This may help

This does not affect your photos or any database information (keywords, faces, places, ratings, etc) in any way - they are stored in the iPhoto library - the iPhoto preference file simply controls how iPhoto works - which is why renewing it is a good first step.

LN

iPhoto very s-l-o-w now, since upgrade to Snow Leopard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.