Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hidden Files and .DS_Store Showing Up On Desktop

I recently did a software and map update on my GPS while it was connected to my iMac. After everything completed, and I removed the GPS and restarted my computer all the hidden files (greyed out) are showing up on my desktop, as well as the file .DS_Store. How can I remove these greyed out files.

iMac Intel, Mac OS X (10.6)

Posted on Aug 27, 2010 1:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2010 1:31 PM

See http://osxdaily.com/2009/02/25/show-hidden-files-in-os-x/
7 replies

Aug 27, 2010 7:05 PM in response to Nancy Blazis

When you open it, just select the option to keep it in the Dock. Keep opening it from there. It will mount a new .dmg each time you open it, but that way you will get the window for it right away. I keep the original .dmg in my Documents Folder. It doesn't install in Applications, but it does create several files for its use. Or you could just save it in your Users.

BTW, it does some other pretty useful things for me, like disabling Dashboard and Dock Expose, which I find to be only an annoyance.

Hidden Files and .DS_Store Showing Up On Desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.