Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine Hard Drive for other uses other than backups

I use a WD My Studio II, 2 TB Hard Drive.

Time machine uses the drive as its backup drive, but since the the drive is so big I would like to use it as a general hard drive too. In other words, on a single hard drive, can I have Time Machine backing up my Macbook, as well as use the remaining space to store general stuff that is to big for my mackbook.

The may seem a little illogical, but bare in mind I have the RAID 1 setting, so the one drive is automatically backed up onto the 2nd 1TB drive.

I hope this makes sense, and I hope someone has an answer.

Regards

H

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Aug 28, 2010 5:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 28, 2010 5:26 AM

Time Machine does not need to 'own' the whole drive, it just creates a folder on the drive to store the backups. Just be mindful of the amount of space you use, as the TM backups may take a fairly considerable amount of space. As long as you keep note of that, you can use the remaining space as you like.
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 28, 2010 5:26 AM in response to SKYTORT

Time Machine does not need to 'own' the whole drive, it just creates a folder on the drive to store the backups. Just be mindful of the amount of space you use, as the TM backups may take a fairly considerable amount of space. As long as you keep note of that, you can use the remaining space as you like.

Time Machine Hard Drive for other uses other than backups

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.