6 Replies Latest reply: Aug 29, 2010 3:12 PM by pc2k07
pc2k07 Level 2 Level 2 (170 points)
Hello, I recently switched from the original iphone to a Droid X and Verizon. I now would like to sell my original iphone, but I have a few questions.

*_So far I have:_*
Ported my phone number over to the droid x (verizon)
Canceled my at&t account and received my final bill
Did a full data reset (Settings/general/reset/erase all content and settings)
Removed my phone number from the phone (Settings/Phone/My Number - cleared my number and entered in a + and hit save. My number now does not show on the phone or in itunes)
Did a network reset (Settings/general/reset/reset network settings)
Reboot

Now when I turn the iphone on it says waiting to activate.

Questions:
1) Is there anything else I need to do to remove all my personal data and old at&t account settings?
2) In itunes, do I need to do: deauthorize this computer?
3) Once I sell the iphone, what does the person buying it need to do to activate it and sign up with at&t?
4) Is there anyway the person buying it would be able to activate an account in my name, which obviously I don't want? (is the phone still tied to me somehow)?

Any answers you can provide will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Dell Inspiron 17" wide screen, Windows XP Pro
  • wjosten Level 10 Level 10 (93,720 points)
    1) Is there anything else I need to do to remove all my personal data and old at&t account settings?

No.

No.

3) Once I sell the iphone, what does the person buying it need to do to activate it and sign up with at&t?

Go to an AT&T store & sign up for service, then connect the phone to their iTunes. AT&T will activate the phone in the store.

4) Is there anyway the person buying it would be able to activate an account in my name, which obviously I don't want? (is the phone still tied to me somehow)?

No.
  • Allan Sampson Level 10 Level 10 (123,370 points)

Using the erase all content and settings option on the iPhone does exactly as provided and is a secure erase except for the firmware/OS and included apps, so there is nothing else you need to do.

Only if you no longer plan on using this computer with your iTunes account with iTunes, which does not require an iPhone.

If they will be a new AT&T subscriber, they will need to get a new SIM card from a local AT&T corporate store to activate the iPhone which can be done at the AT&T store or with iTunes on their computer. If they are an existing AT&T subscriber, they should be able to use their existing SIM card being used with another phone or get a new SIM card from a local AT&T corporate store to activate the iPhone with their line/number with iTunes.

No.
  • pc2k07 Level 2 Level 2 (170 points)
    Great thanks guys. Just one follow up question.

Should I remove my sim card from the phone prior to selling it? (since they will have to either use their current sim card or get a new one)

Thanks again.
  • Allan Sampson Level 10 Level 10 (123,370 points)
    You're welcome.

No harm can be done if you leave the no longer activated SIM card inserted which can't be used to re-activate the iPhone by whoever the buyer is, but I would remove it.
  • wjosten Level 10 Level 10 (93,720 points)
    As Allan said, its your choice as to remove the sim card or not. No data is stored on an iphone sim, only your now deactivated AT&T account info-of no use to anyone. Me, I always remove the sim & tell the buyer they need to get their own.

Having said the above, some buyers prefer the inactivated sim remain in the phone because they plan on hacking the phone to another carrier. They would need the inactive sim to do so or obtain a new one from AT&T-something, they obviously don't want to do.

The choice is yours, just make such clear when you do sell.
  • pc2k07 Level 2 Level 2 (170 points)
    Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.