Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remove DNS entries and reset from the Terminal

I have a DNS service running on my Mac Server and it seems to be screwed up, because I can not remove any entries.

Initially, it let's me remove them...but when I click save...they all appear again!

What I want to do is to remove all entries manually and do anything else that will reset all of the DNS settings and let me start from scratch.

Can anyone help me?

Mac Mini Server, Mac OS X (10.6.4), OS X Server that came with the mini

Posted on Aug 30, 2010 8:07 AM

2 replies

Sep 2, 2010 7:30 AM in response to mmartinez74

I'm having a weird problem with my dns as well. I've done some research and have not been able to test it yet because the server is located at a clients business.
However, as far as I can tell, os x server keeps it's config files for the network here...

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/

DNS is located here...

/var/named

and here...

/etc/dns

The name of the DNS server in the terminal is named. You can type man named in the terminal to learn how to stop and start it and other things about it.
Before tinkering with any of the files, I would recommend making a backup of them first. Hope this helps!

Remove DNS entries and reset from the Terminal

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.