Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Swapping Macs, can't change the image file used for TM to a Time Capsule

Hello ~

I have ten Macs connected to one TimeCapsule (TC) and nine of them work flawlessly performing a TimeMachine (TM) backup. On the one that doesn't work properly, it is a PBP with Leopard 10.5.8, and latest updates. The other Macs are mixed 10.5.x and 10.6.x.

I had a user on the PBP that I had been backing up in the past. I erased the HD and reinstalled the OS, and then created a new account. I wanted to start backing up the new account and have the name of the backup be the new name I put under Sharing Preference (I assume that's where TM gets the name of the backup).

Well, apparently not, the name of the backup is still the old user name from Sharing, and on the old account before the computer was erased.

I have repaired permissions, I have thrown out the TM prefs in Mac HD\Library\Preferences\, I have restarted the computer. So far I can not get the name to change on the sparse image that it copies to, even though TM says the backup completed without error.

So, as it appears the backup is using the same old image file that this Mac had been using, the backup are separate when you go into TimeMachine, they do not seem to access each other's data, and inspecting the contents of the image, the date of the backup file is there for the new user in the old image file.

I really would just like the PBP to stop using the old image file and create it's own image.

Any ideas welcome!

Thanks all

Chaz

MBP 2.8, Mac OS X (10.6.4), Also - PB Ti 1GHz - The last of it's kind

Posted on Aug 30, 2010 7:34 AM

1 reply

Aug 30, 2010 8:20 AM in response to ChazH

I'm slightly confused. What is a PBP or did you mean a MacBook Pro (MBP)? And, what do you mean by a backup "image?" TM does not make images. Are you actually referring to the backup folder for this machine?

If I understand correctly what you need to do is delete the old backup for this machine so TM can start from scratch with a new backup. To do that open the TM application and select your backup, then from the Finder's tool icon in the toolbar select "Delete." which should delete the entire backup.

Also, see User Tips for Time Machine for help with TM problems. Also you can select Mac Help from the Finder's Help menu and search for "time machine" to locate articles on how to use TM. See also Mac 101- Time Machine.

Swapping Macs, can't change the image file used for TM to a Time Capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.