Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Powerbook 150 MacOS 7.5 install fails - Help please!

Hi all! I got my hand on an old Powerbook 150, 4MB RAM, 120MB HDD. It had no OS installed, but I got its Enabler floppy with MacOS 7.1 on it. I booted from the floppy then copied the system folder, now the Mac boots from the harddrive. I also had an old set of MacOS 7.5 floppies, so I copied the Powerbook 150 enabler onto Install disk 1, and booted from it, and started a clean install. However whenever I'm at the phase after the third floppy, that the Installer asks me for the first floppy then starts to set up Virtual memory, the Installer reports that it had an error and quits. I figured my floppy set was damaged, so I went and downloaded MacOS 7.5.3 from Apple's site, but it does the same, error with the virtual memory. I tried installing both from booting from the floppy, of booting into my MacOS 7.1 (a rather minimal install, doesnt even have a controll panel), but it always gives the same error. Since I have the Powerbook 150 enabler, it cannot be because of the Harddrive being an IDE drive, can it? Can anybody help me? I want this old Mac run badly.
THX!

Powerbook 150, Mac OS 8.6 or Earlier

Posted on Aug 30, 2010 1:19 PM

3 replies

Aug 31, 2010 12:16 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

Hi! I got this so far: I've installed a full MacOS 7.5.3 to a mini vMac on a PC, then transferred the Finder to the PB150, and changed the System folder to the one on the 7.5.3 Install disc 1, and transfered the rest of the system like extensions, apple menu items etc on floppies to the Powerbook. This way I got a working 7.5.3 OS, but it reminds me at every boot, that this is only a floppy OS, and I should reinstall. Sleep mode does not work, nor does a lot of extensions and programs, and the machine keeps freezing constantly. The installation still does not work, same error, whenever I try to poke around the System folder be it update or clean install it refuses to do anything. Im still searching for a set of original 7.1.1 PB150 floppies, or their images, Powerbook 150 enabler seems to work. I'll try transferring the mini vMac's System folder to the PB150 (3 MB, how shall I put it on one floppy?), but I guess it is still not the solution.
I've erased the PRAM, nothing changed.

Message was edited by: zdanee

Aug 31, 2010 2:13 PM in response to zdanee

The normal way of using the (nineteen files US version) System 7.5.3 download is to begin by transferring (plain copy via a 1.44 MB floppy) each .bin file to the hard disk of the (PowerBook 150) computer. Once there, one would use a suitable old version of StuffIt Expander to decode the .bin. The resulting decoded files (one .smi and eighteen .part) are placed in a common folder. These files together constitute one large disk image. The image is mounted by double-clicking on the .smi. The installer would automatically determine which files are required (should be no need for a separate enabler).

It cannot be ruled out that the hard disk has to be erased (one can normally try the Erase Disk command from the Special menu when a computer has been started from a floppy), or even reformatted (use the appropriate utility for the PB 150 hard disk), before attempting the above installation.

For a temporary operating system (in order to free the floppy drive for file transfers), a system folder from the aforementioned Network Access floppy can be drag-copied to the empty hard disk.

Jan

Powerbook 150 MacOS 7.5 install fails - Help please!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.