Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

System extension cannot be used, please help.

I have recently had a pop-up which reads; +The system extension "/System/library/Extensions/CDSAAudioCaptureSupport.kext" was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it, or contact the products vendor for an update.+

I don't know what any of this means, can someone help?
It happened since I did a erase free space function via disk utility.

imac 2.4GHZ, 3GB RAM, 250GB HD, Mac OS X (10.6.4), RME FF400

Posted on Aug 30, 2010 7:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2010 8:18 PM

From a Google search:

This error message is there because you have a copy of Spin Doctor loaded on your computer. No, this doesn’t mean that you have a gentlemen in a brown coat, breakdancing in your computer… I mean the Roxio software, that is suppose to assist with capturing digital audio.

This message will appear at various times, whether or not Spin Doctor is running. To put an end to it, update to the latest version of Spin Doctor. Then launch Spin Doctor and select “Install Audio Capture Support” from the CD Spin Doctor menu. This updates the kext file (located in the /System/Library/Extensions folder) to a version that is compatible with Snow Leopard.

The kext file itself is required if you want to use CD Spin Doctor’s “Audio Music Capture” option. This allows you to “instantly” start recording whatever audio is currently playing on your Mac.

If you have the latest version of Spin Doctor already installed, then try repairing permissions.
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 30, 2010 8:18 PM in response to Miles Allen

From a Google search:

This error message is there because you have a copy of Spin Doctor loaded on your computer. No, this doesn’t mean that you have a gentlemen in a brown coat, breakdancing in your computer… I mean the Roxio software, that is suppose to assist with capturing digital audio.

This message will appear at various times, whether or not Spin Doctor is running. To put an end to it, update to the latest version of Spin Doctor. Then launch Spin Doctor and select “Install Audio Capture Support” from the CD Spin Doctor menu. This updates the kext file (located in the /System/Library/Extensions folder) to a version that is compatible with Snow Leopard.

The kext file itself is required if you want to use CD Spin Doctor’s “Audio Music Capture” option. This allows you to “instantly” start recording whatever audio is currently playing on your Mac.

If you have the latest version of Spin Doctor already installed, then try repairing permissions.

Sep 6, 2010 10:07 AM in response to Miles Allen

I don't think you followed the instructions which did not involve uninstalling but installing an updated version.

If you uninstalled all the software, then you should check in the /System/Library/Extensions/ folder for the .kext file or files associated with the software. In fact download Easy Find - VersionTracker or MacUpdate - and use it to search for any remaining files from the software. After finding and deleting any remaining files you need to restart the computer.

Oct 5, 2010 6:21 PM in response to Miles Allen

error: "/System/library/Extensions/CDSAAudioCaptureSupport.kext" was installed improperly"

This is an issue with Roxio Toast 10 Spin doctor (no worky with the Snow Leopard). I had that problem as well. I trashed Spin Doctor and resumed (capturing my vinyl with a usb turntable) with Audacity (free) - maybe a bit more work but is certainly stable. I like the rest of Toast 10, spin doctor appears to be one of those value added options with no value....

System extension cannot be used, please help.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.