Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows 7 will only boot in safe mode after Bootcamp Driver Installation

Help! I recently installed Windows 7 onto my MacBook Pro with OS X 10.6.4. Everything runs smoothly until I restart the machine following the installation of the Bootcamp Drivers. Upon restart, I am told that Windows "was not able to shut down successfully." I can restart in safe mode but cannot seem to fix the problem. I assume it is related to one of the Bootcamp drivers but which one? Has anyone had this problem? Do I need to install the Bootcamp drivers in order to run windows successfully? Thanks so much!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Aug 30, 2010 6:28 PM

10 replies

Sep 1, 2010 10:53 AM in response to afosnaugh

I am experiencing exactly the same issue with Windows 7 64 Bit.
It runs fine until the Drivers are installed and Windows is restarted. It seems to boot up fine but freezes at the Login Screen. No other Hardware is attached to my 2010 MBP 13,3".

Sep 2, 2010 4:18 AM in response to The hatter

Well, this is on a clean Windows right after finishing the installation procedure.
Without the drivers Windows is pretty unusable so simply removing them is not a solution for me...
I will try and remove the filesystem drivers though if they might be related to the problem.

Sep 2, 2010 5:55 AM in response to Community User

Windows 7 works pretty well by itself. But if you revert you can start to troubleshoot and do things one at a time. And find what it was you did or added that has a conflict.

When you uninstall device drivers, Windows will find its own driver. I thought this all happened only AFTER installing Apple's drivers.

There are Apple notes on Windows 7 with installation.
New or changed technotes are here:
http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=articles

Windows NTFS does not allow filenames with special characters that Mac's HFS allows. I went through and find and renamed all the offending files which would cause Explorer to hang and get stuck (but not blue screen).

Sep 3, 2010 12:29 AM in response to The hatter

All drivers are delivered in one package on the Mac OS X Installation DVD. Without those, basic functionality like right click with the Trackpad or the function keys on the keyboard do not work.

Windows on my Mac won't even boot in Safe Mode anymore, it hangs on login just like normal boot (without any user interaction).

This should simply be fixed by Apple.

Oct 2, 2010 9:23 AM in response to The hatter

This is not an account issue, Windows crashes before I can login, even in safe mode.
I deleted the "applehfs.sys" and "applemnt.sys" drivers but it still crashes. The only thing that I can do is reverting the driver install with system restore. But the Notebook is quite useless without the drivers.

Oct 2, 2010 9:41 AM in response to Community User

BEFORE you installed anything off OS X DVD, you did have Windows running, right?

So it was crippled but somewhat functional. And it is possible to create a standard user account, a 2nd admin account. Just as one backup, I understand that doesn't really help.

Same with backing up Windows 7 to an external drive, making a system restore image.

And you can copy the Apple drivers to a folder in Windows and use Troubleshoot Compatibility Mode and install individually (they aren't one program or package, they are in

Apple\Drivers\ for one and people using 64-bit have to use that to run Bootcamp64.msi using Compatibility Mode.

When you started and titled "will boot in safe mode" that sounded like you could boot and login.

Using external wired keyboard and mouse is what some people have had to do until they got proper drivers.

Would be nice if:

Windows had more drivers and Apple would ship a set to be included in Windows 7 SP1; drivers worked! 🙂 And could be downloaded and installed directly into Windows, and no need for old 3.0 and then 3.1 but go directly to latest (and new Macs do have improved 3.0 drivers, which are on 10.6.4 DVDs).

Oct 3, 2010 4:06 AM in response to The hatter

I am sorry, I hijacked another users Thread, safe mode never worked for me.

Maybe installing the drivers separately will work, I will try that.

Using a cabled mouse with a portable computer is really annoying. I hope Apple fixes this.

Oct 23, 2010 8:02 AM in response to afosnaugh

I have spent over a month trying to get Win7 Pro-64 to run on my MacBook Pro (Mar '10 purchase). I have discovered the super-drive does not like iso's burned on other burners (attached to Win machines). Using a dvd burned on the super-drive the installation goes fairly smoothly untill the bootcamp drivers and updates are installed, It is all downhill from there. Has anyone gotten Win7 Pro 64 to behave reliably?

Windows 7 will only boot in safe mode after Bootcamp Driver Installation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.