Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

Images received go directly to desktop

2448 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Sep 1, 2010 6:30 AM by Ralph Johns (UK) RSS
chazcron Level 1 Level 1 (20 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Aug 31, 2010 1:54 PM
Everytime I get an image in iChat, a copy lands on my desktop. How can I stop this or redirect the default location?

Kinda tired of having to manually delete them from the desktop.
MacPro, Mac OS X (10.6.4)
  • BenRector Level 3 Level 3 (535 points)
    Aug 31, 2010 1:58 PM (in response to chazcron)
    Hi there,

You can change the location where you want files saved to. Look under Preferences>General>Save Received Files To.

Hope that helps.

Ben
    iMac 24" 2.16GHZ, MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHZ, iMac G3 15" 700MHZ (Graphite/CRT), Mac OS X (10.6.2), iMac G4 15" 700MHZ, 2nd Generation iPod 10GB, iPhone 16GB, iPhone 3G 16GB 
  • Ralph Johns (UK) Level 9 Level 9 (66,880 points)
    Sep 1, 2010 4:19 AM (in response to chazcron)
    Hi,

Pics-in-Chats should display In line as it were in the IM chat if both ends are using iChat.

They can be drop on Buddies name during a chat (in the Buddy List) and you get it as a file although a click-able link should appear in the IM chat.

Unless you have an AppleScript linked to iChat > Preferences > Alerts and the Received File action to duplicate the Pic it should have only one copy in the folder iChat is pointing to, as stated by the other poster.

I take it you do not have an Automator item duplicating pics. ?

12:19 PM Wednesday; September 1, 2010

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"
    G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)  MacBookPro 2Gb( 10.6.4) , Mac OS X (10.6.4), "Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Really
  • Ralph Johns (UK) Level 9 Level 9 (66,880 points)
    Sep 1, 2010 6:30 AM (in response to chazcron)
    Hi,

They do stay in the Chats.

In Fact to "Save" them you have to drag them to the Desktop to then use a Graphics app with them

They are shown in Old Transcripts that you have kept.
    They are still expandable there but you cannot drag them out as it were to work on a old pic.

Old Transcrips are kept in Home Folder/Documents/iChats and the Dated Subfolders.
    Not a Temporary file/Folder

I know that at the iChat 2 and iChat 3 start lunch period of iChat's development that Changing the default Downloads folder was a bit quirky and somewhat unreliable. It's a long time since I tried to use a another Download spot.

I have not experienced what you are saying or read of someone having the issue before.

2:30 PM Wednesday; September 1, 2010

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"
    G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)  MacBookPro 2Gb( 10.6.4) , Mac OS X (10.6.4), "Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Really

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.