Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Images received go directly to desktop

Everytime I get an image in iChat, a copy lands on my desktop. How can I stop this or redirect the default location?

Kinda tired of having to manually delete them from the desktop.

MacPro, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Aug 31, 2010 1:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2010 1:58 PM

Hi there,

You can change the location where you want files saved to. Look under Preferences>General>Save Received Files To.

Hope that helps.

Ben
4 replies

Sep 1, 2010 4:19 AM in response to chazcron

Hi,

Pics-in-Chats should display In line as it were in the IM chat if both ends are using iChat.

They can be drop on Buddies name during a chat (in the Buddy List) and you get it as a file although a click-able link should appear in the IM chat.

Unless you have an AppleScript linked to iChat > Preferences > Alerts and the Received File action to duplicate the Pic it should have only one copy in the folder iChat is pointing to, as stated by the other poster.

I take it you do not have an Automator item duplicating pics. ?

User uploaded file

12:19 PM Wednesday; September 1, 2010

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

Sep 1, 2010 6:30 AM in response to chazcron

Hi,

They do stay in the Chats.

In Fact to "Save" them you have to drag them to the Desktop to then use a Graphics app with them

They are shown in Old Transcripts that you have kept.
They are still expandable there but you cannot drag them out as it were to work on a old pic.

Old Transcrips are kept in Home Folder/Documents/iChats and the Dated Subfolders.
Not a Temporary file/Folder

I know that at the iChat 2 and iChat 3 start lunch period of iChat's development that Changing the default Downloads folder was a bit quirky and somewhat unreliable. It's a long time since I tried to use a another Download spot.

I have not experienced what you are saying or read of someone having the issue before.

User uploaded file

2:30 PM Wednesday; September 1, 2010

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

Images received go directly to desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.