Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

Moved mail messages often reappear

1487 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Sep 1, 2010 10:10 AM by Bill Rising RSS
Bill Rising Level 2 Level 2 (240 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Aug 31, 2010 2:38 PM
This is a problem that has been plaguing me for the last several months: when I move a message from my Inbox or Sent Mail to my Done folder on our work email server, the message reappears in its original location a few minutes later. I can delete it from the Inbox/Sent Mail, and will often return again. Sometimes I can delete the message 3 times before it stays deleted. I cannot tell where the source of the problem is.

I'm using Mail 4.3 on Mac OS X 10.6.4. The account is an IMAP account on a dovecot-1.0.7-7.el5 server, which is redhat's port of dovecot v1.07.

One oddity is that I use MailTags [1] to add info to the header of the email which I can then use for filing the email in the work email system. When I add a tag, MailTags resaves the message to the server. It does not change the identifier of the message.

I also tend to remove attachments after I've filed them, so I don't have extra copies of data files bloating my mailboxes. This also causes a resave of the message to the server.

I ran some experiments with different numbers of attachments, sources etc, and could not find the pattern.

Does anyone know how I can figure out where the problem is? It is completely crippling my email at work, because it is typically tripling the time it takes me to mark a message as done.

I've looked through the discussions, but nothing suggested there has done a lick of good.

Thanks for any help,

Bill
MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.4), Mail 4.3, MailTags
  • Ernie Stamper Level 8 Level 8 (37,455 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 31, 2010 4:58 PM (in response to Bill Rising)
    Do you have the latest version of MailTags? I note, but have not ever used at all, that version 2.5 is cited as adding compatibility for Mail 4.3 in 10.6.4.

The behavior you describe would be consistent with errors in the indexing of mailboxes, and it may be possible that MailTags is not keeping track of the messages when moved to the Done folder you describe, via communication with the index.

Ernie
    Mac Pro 8 Core, iBook, and QS G4 867, Mac OS X (10.6.4), 10.5.8, 10.4.11, Aperture 2 & 3; FCS3

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.