3 Replies Latest reply: Sep 1, 2010 4:47 AM by macjack
SKYTORT Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Hi All,

A rather dumb question, but for the purpose of peace of mind for backups, here goes.

I have a few external HD's, which I have formatted using disk utility. The data on there must be deleted in an unrecoverable sense so I used the 7 - Pass Erase.

My question: When plugging in an External HD, after opening disk utility, in the left window is show:
465.8 GB Seagate FreeAgent
XXX Files

where "XXX" = My real name.

Which one do I select to format or does it not really matter. The reason I asked is because I did a format and selected the first option i.e. 465.8 GB..., but after format completion the "XXX File's" still remained there. I just left the disk name as Untitled during the format option selection.

I hope the above makes sense.

Thank for any feedback

Ciao

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)
  • macjack Level 9 Level 9 (50,625 points)
    SKYTORT wrote:
    When plugging in an External HD, after opening disk utility, in the left window is show:
    465.8 GB Seagate FreeAgent
    Which one do I select to format or does it not really matter.

Select 465.8 GB Seagate FreeAgent (It is the upper icon and represents the entire drive. The xxx lower icon is only the volume.

-mj
  • SKYTORT Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    What happens if I select only the volume.

I think I may have done this. Will I have to reformat the drive to ensure all the data gets securely deleted.

Thanks
  • macjack Level 9 Level 9 (50,625 points)
    SKYTORT wrote:
    What happens if I select only the volume.

If you want to secure delete, in Disk Utility > Erase tab, choose "Security options". It will take a long time, or a longer time depending which overwrite you use.

-mj