Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone Config Utility and web clip icons

Hi

I am trying to import a .png file into ICU to use as a web clip. I have created one in paint shop pro and one in Photoshop both have a 57 * 57 pixel size. Whenever I select either file I get the following error

"value does not fall within the expected range"

I am running ICU on XP.

Can anyone offer some advice or tips

Quad Core intel based PC, Windows 7

Posted on Sep 1, 2010 5:33 AM

11 replies

Sep 14, 2010 8:35 AM in response to Silentbob1978

Hi,

they use a different size for the icons for web clip. The right size is 59x60. Use it with the PNG format and no transparency. That should work. If not, open the help pages and search for "web clip". It's written down somewhere in the help pages.

ITinfrastructure

Nov 3, 2010 3:25 PM in response to Silentbob1978

I am also having this trouble. Windows 7 x64 Pro using ICU 3.1.0.256. I've used Adobe Photoshop CS5, Paint.net, and Windows 7 paint. I've tried saving at 57px square for the iPhone 3G and 3GS, 72px for the iPad, and 114px for the iPhone4.

However nothing works. Also tried saving without transparency, save for web along with various other settings.
Tried PNG, Tiff, BMP, Jpg.

I keep getting "value does not fall within the expected range"

Mar 1, 2011 4:58 PM in response to Silentbob1978

I found the same issue here, BUT it seems that the settings 'stick' despite the error (and no visual feedback). This was verified by creating the profile on Windows, exporting and re-opening the IPCU ".mobileconfig" file on Mac OS X.

When opened the same file on Mac OS X version of iPhone Configuration Utility and all was well-- web clips configured properly and icon displays properly.

I tried it starting on Windows with 16 bit 72dpi BMP files up to 400px by 400px.

I haven't tried deploying from the Windows IPCU after that though.

Dec 21, 2013 8:11 PM in response to Silentbob1978

Real sorry guys, even though it's been 2 years since original post, but I've fixed it.

I am using iPCU 3.6.2.300 and the problem was not on the iPCU, but, you can fix your image on Photoshop like below:

iPad (Retina display) 152x152px; Resolution: 72 px/inch; Save as Bitmap (.bmp) with OS/2 file format.

and for other devices, just follow the guidelines for size (in pixels) at the iOS Developer Library here, with resolution either 72px/inch or 96px/inch. Just remember to save as Bitmap with OS/2 file format, not Windows.

Regards,

Phillmont.

Iphone Config Utility and web clip icons

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.