Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Playing a remote DVD

Our MBAir has one USB socket, obviously, and we 're using it for the Mobile Broadband stick ... but my wife wants to play a DVD ... no problem, I thought, we'll put the disc into the iMac & feed it across via the remote disc facility ...

hmmm, DVD Player didn't notice it, what do we need to set ...

went into System Preferences & set Disc Sharing, on both, just in-case, then clicked Remote Disk in the LH column of a Finder window on the Air & clicked the tab to ask for permission, and gave it, when asked, on the iMac ...

only to be greeted with a DVD Player error message on the 'Air, saying it couldn't verify disc copy protection ... the disc couldn't be played, and DVD Player had to quit ...

thanks very much, we're falling out of love with Apple ...

when the MBAir was launched, much was made of its ability to access discs remotely (it not, of course, having a disc drive of its own) ... but now, the first time we want to use it, it doesn't work, and will never work ...

SJ, he speak with forked tongue ... grrrrrrrrrh !

Message was edited by: Christopher John Hunter

MBPro | MBAir | WiFi iPad | G4 | P'Bk G4 | TC | iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.4), laptops 10.5.8 | G4s 10.4.0/8.6/9.2 | iPhone3G iOS4 / iPhone3G+iPod-t 3.1.3

Posted on Sep 1, 2010 2:18 PM

5 replies

Sep 2, 2010 12:05 PM in response to Christopher John Hunter

Remote Disk is designed for the MBA to install program, so can only share CD/DVD-ROM computer disks, not movie disks. AFAIK, there is no setting to make work for movies. (We have to be careful with how much assumptions we make when listening to the "sales pitch." 😉 I watched the keynote for the MBA and I don't remember it specifically mentioning watching movies remotely. If someone knows otherwise, please chime in.)

Short answer; you need to view streaming movies (e.g.: Netflix) or get the movie as a file stored on the MBA's hard drive. (e.g.: iTunes.)

Some DVDs also come with a "digital copy" which is a file than can be loaded on devices without a DVD drive, which is exactly the situation you're in. Otherwise, to convert the movie to a file usually means breaking the copy protection, which is usually a violation of the DMCA, so can't be discussed here. (Google is your friend.)

The other alternative is to change your broadband device. If you get some sort of "Mi-Fi" device, the MBA connects to the broadband device using the built-in Wi-Fi. Then the USB port is free for the MBA's Superdrive. Verizon, Sprint and others have Mi-Fi devices so you may be able to transfer your account to the new device without changing data plans.

Sep 2, 2010 1:30 PM in response to Asatoran

many thanks for the response ... yep, 'am certainly becoming more wary - eg: 'watched & listened to yesterday's Special Event rather more carefully than 'would have previously !

Mi-Fi - that's a good idea, IIRC the 3 network here in the UK offer such a device ... so while we're in-town on Tuesday (*) we'll maybe call-by the 3 'store and pick one up (assuming our USB stick's SIM-card will simply transfer) ...

'wonder if a simple USB hub might be a good idea, too - to allow more devices to be connected to the 'Air - assuming it could cope with DVD drive & 3G-stick & whatever, all at once ... ?

(*) to have the Genius Bar persuade our MacBook Pro that it really does want to start-up again - since yesterday, it decided it didn't want-to anymore, despite various attempts at persuasion ... RAM, logic-board, HD - not sure which !

Sep 2, 2010 2:10 PM in response to Christopher John Hunter

'wonder if a simple USB hub might be a good idea, too - to allow more devices to be connected to the 'Air - assuming it could cope with DVD drive & 3G-stick & whatever, all at once ... ?

The 3G stick would probably be ok. But I've read people saying that the Apple Superdrive doesn't work well with a hub. I think it uses more power than most hubs can supply so is often unreliable unless directly connected to the Mac.

If you can find a non-Apple DVD drive, then maybe you can use that through a hub, especially if the drive is self-powered rather than bus powered. (i.e.: The DVD drive has it's own power adapter.) I've used non-Apple DVD drives on my Mac and they work, but I'm told sometimes the Mac can't boot from them (so you can't reinstall OSX with a non-Apple drive) and I've never tried them on a MBA. But something to consider, particularly if you can borrow one from a friend or try it out in the store, etc.

Playing a remote DVD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.