Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 4 reception is terrible, why?

I have an Iphone 4 that I bought to upgrade from my 3G. The reception is horrible compared to the 3G. In areas where I had 5 bars of 3G coverage on my 3G phone, the Iphone 4, will only have 1 bar of 3G, or it drops to 2 or 3 bars on E network. The signal strength is also very sporadic in areas where it was strong and consistent with my 3G. What is going on? Is the new phone not as good in receiving a signal as the previous models?

Iphone 4, iOS 4

Posted on Sep 1, 2010 9:50 PM

3 replies

Sep 1, 2010 10:19 PM in response to asand211

Join the club. Obviously it's the form factor. We will find out in october after apple reevaluates the iphone4... Stay tuned. Until then I dropped 7 calls to the same person driving from work to home on a 7 mile stretch where I never ever dropped a call before on my 3g. I am using a case and I actually put my phone on edge when I make calls. Works better for me. But you shouldn't have to do that in the first place.

Sep 2, 2010 8:19 AM in response to asand211

that's unfortunate, because I don't have the death grip issue, even if I hold it on the death grip, I don't lose signals at all, like I can not get the bars to go down, even if I hold it very tightly it does not go down at all. Ever since I got my iphone 4 in August, I have not dropped a single call, ALL of my calls went through just fine, no dropped calls, no receptions lost, no failed calls either. This is with the case and I have done with without the case and still working normally fine.

If reception is an issue for you, Apple does offer a free case program that you can download on your iphone 4. But keep in mind that the free case order only works within your 30 days of purchase, if you are past the 30 days, it won't work.

Iphone 4 reception is terrible, why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.