Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Invalid IP Address response after checkhostname

I'm Stumped, I have not changed anything but noticed that all the services were greyed out for each user in Server Preferences. Some posts led me to the sudo changeip - checkhostname route becasue they said there could be a DNS problem.

I get : "Invalid IP address"
Running SLS 10.6.4
Static IP
using Zoneedit as my DNS nameserverrs
Running DNS on SLS as per Mr. Hoffmans set up instructions.

What can cause this error message? I did not change any settings. Was it the update that did this?

Oh, BTW all services are working properly AFP, Ichat, Ical, Web, Wikis, and Push Notifications. If My IP is in valid why is everything working?

Macmini, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Sep 2, 2010 7:44 AM

7 replies

Sep 2, 2010 9:19 AM in response to MrHoffman

ok Well, I was mistyping the comand . But I still think I have a problem as the Hostnames match but are the machine name not the FQDN.

here are the outputs:

-checkhostname

Primary address = XX.XX.XX.209

Current HostName = Machine name
DNS HostName = Machine name

The names match. There is nothing to change.
dirserv:success = "success"

IF CONFIG =

lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
gif0: flags=8010<POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST> mtu 1280
stf0: flags=0 mtu 1280
en0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
ether 00:26:bb:5f:ed:d6
inet6 fe80::226:bbff:fe5f:edd6%en0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x4
inet XX.XX.XX.209 netmask 0xfffffffc broadcast XX.XX.XX.211
media: 100baseTX <full-duplex>
en1: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
ether 00:26:b0:f9:f1:f9
media: <unknown subtype> (<unknown type>)
fw0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 4078
lladdr 00:26:bb:ff:fe:5f:ed:d6
media: autoselect <full-duplex>

Sep 2, 2010 10:39 AM in response to MrHoffman

I guess the botom line is.

Is there a reason the services are greyed out for the users in server preferences?

Should the outpt of -checkhostname ,Specifcally the Current HostName and DNS HostName be the FQDN of the server, or the Servername as in machinename/computername.

Should they look like:

mydomain.net
or
myserver.mydomain.net
or
myserver
Mine are just coming up as "myserver" the last
And...

Is any of this behavior typical or related ?

Am I looking for problems that are not there?

Why is the sky blue? ( ok , not that one)

Sep 2, 2010 11:02 AM in response to Pecan Creek

I don't generally run with Server Preferences, preferring to use Server Admin and Workgroup Manager.

As for what appears to be a question, if you have a server with the host name foo, in domain example.com, then the FQDN would be foo.example.com. and it's that trailing dot (which stands in for the DNS root servers) that makes the particular specification into the FQDN.

[Here are some DNS configuration details|http://labs.hoffmanlabs.com/node/1436].

Entirely pedantically:

mydomain.net
myserver.mydomain.net
myserver

None of these are technically an FQDN, and the folks at Dotster Inc have registered mydomain.net.

Lacking actual details on whatever it is you're concerned with, there's nothing further I can provide.

Sep 2, 2010 3:07 PM in response to MrHoffman

Well i'm not going to post my domains nor my ip's . So thanks.

I guess I didn't know the forum rules were to be this obtuse and condesending to innocent questions.
What? Are you thick to figure out that...

Of course I don't own those names,YaTard,they were just examples.

Sorry I dont live up to your expectation of a good question designer.

Thanks again!!!

Onward !!!

Sep 2, 2010 4:34 PM in response to Pecan Creek

You're reading insults where none is intended.

Without details, I can't run DNS checks, and I can't tell what you're doing (or not doing) with your question(s) and your FQDN concerns. I do not know what you're looking at with your FQDN question.

If the DNS domain in use is public-registered, then the botnets and the spammers already have it; it's public. If the DNS is private, then folks outside your firewall can't get at it. (Or if we can, there are other issues at the firewall.) So in either case, obfuscating it doesn't particular advance your request and your question.

As for domain names and IP address assignments, I've learned to not assume that the IP addresses and names are obfuscated or not; I've encountered folks here that were using IP address blocks assigned to US DoD, and regularly using domain names that were registered to and allocated to other sites.

Invalid IP Address response after checkhostname

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.