3918 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Sep 6, 2010 12:45 AM by cjmtgl
I attempted to do the the same (similar) thing yesterday (Sept 2nd, 2010).
I wanted to change my current Apple ID used for iTunes Store (which was created years ago when I bought my wife an iPod) to be my Apple ID (created when I joined the Apple Developer program way before iTunes).
After changing the information and clicking the "Done" button, I received an error message that was positioned on the "Apple ID" box, which stated "this is not a valid email address". I assumed that the "email pattern filter" was erroneously attached to the Apple ID input box, so I contacted iTunes Store Customer Support.
*iTunes Store Customer Support response:*
+I'm very sorry for the inconvenience, since "<my.user.name>" is already an Apple ID it cannot be used for another iTunes account. At this point, it can only become it's own iTunes account.+
I'm posting my followup question below, in case anyone on the forum has these same questions or has any experience with actually doing what Apple proposed - create a new account to be used with an existing iTunes Library - and has any experiences they might wish to share.
*My followup question to iTunes Store Customer Support (waiting for reply):*
So, what are the implications of creating a new (second) iTunes account?
- Will I keep my same iTunes Library (i.e. Will all previous items be visible, when using the new account to purchase items)?
- How will this affect devices (iPhone, iPod) that are synched to the current iTunes Library?
So, I guess what I'm asking is; "How tightly coupled is the iTunes "account" information bound to the Library"?
I don't want to create a situation where:
- My iPhone and Apps gets wiped out when I sync because it sees a different "account name".
- My Library looks like I have "zero" items (Music/Videos/Playlist) because I've logged into iTunes with a different "account name"
I'm attempting to only change the iTunes Apple ID and email associated with the account for purchasing items through the iTunes Store. I want to preserve all other aspects of the current set up.
Is this possible?
1) I will change the Email Address field to my Gmail address. Will this create any sort of confusion with the DRMed songs and videos I purchased in the past?
When you purchase an item, the account name is embedded into the song file itself. If your computer is not authorized and you attempt to play one of the songs purcahsed with account info before you changed it, it will pop up prefilled with the old info. Just change the info in the box to the current info and it will authorize. You cannot actually change the account name in the song file.
2) For posting on these discussion boards I have yet another Apple ID (created kind of by mistake, a long story). Is there any way I can merge the two?