Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use an iPad bought in US with data plan in Germany?

Hi,
I have a question. A friend in US wants to send me an iPad with WiFi plus 3G. I am in Germany and need to buy a German data plan. I assume it will work, but does anybody have experience about this already?

Thanks a lot.

Best,

Thomas Dallmann

iPad, iOS 4

Posted on Sep 3, 2010 12:43 AM

4 replies

Nov 19, 2013 1:31 AM in response to Quisi

Ahoi Quisi!

To get a networkwork connection with your iPad in a mobile network, your iPad needs a SIM card. Otherwise you are restricted to the availability of WLAN.

If you got a SIM card of your provider of your country, you will be able to get a connection in Germany but you will have to pay for the roaming, which normally is very expensive.

So it is a good idea to get a SIM card of a local provider.

There are 2 ways to get this card.

1. Contract, you pay monthly a certain amount and get connection. The prize varies in speed and amount of data

2. Pre paid: you buy a SIM with a certain amount of data volume, e.g. 5 GB, when it's finished, you have to buy a new amount.

Number is preferred when you only stay a few days in a foreign country.

Number 1 is preferred when you stay longer as the contracts usually last for a couple of month or 1 or 2 years

Greetings

Can I use an iPad bought in US with data plan in Germany?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.