Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updating Iphone Firmware freezes Iphone... How can I stop it happening

Hi all.

I have a persistant and irritating issue that whenever I attempt to download and install an iphone OS update, it will get to about 75% complete and then freeze. In order for me to sort this out, I have to unplug the iphone from my Macbook and install the update on my PC. This also happens with my Ipad.

Its a pain as it then means that once the OS update has been installed from my PC, I have to recreate my iphone from the last backup from my Macbook.

Has anyone else encountered this, and solved the problem without having to resort to using another computer or some other method. Would a complete uninstall and reinstall of Itunes help maybe?

Id like to be able to plug it in, install and go without the faf im currently having.

My set up is:
Iphone 4 - 32GB
Ipad - 64GB
Macbook Pro 13inch - 4mb RAM, 320GB hardrive

My macbook is brand new and I was hoping it would have solved the problem by having a new machine, but (maybe stupidly) I resorted this new Macbook from the Time Machine backup of my old one so that all my data was transferred, so I think that if its something to do with the Macbook, the problem has been transferred over from my old one.

Any ideas?

Macbook 13inch, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Sep 3, 2010 3:42 AM

33 replies

Sep 8, 2010 7:11 AM in response to Leigh Barber

I'm sorry to say that I'm not able to provide any solutions to your problem, but I can provide a similar problem. After I updated to the new version of iTunes, I was presented with a message giving me the option to update my iPhone's (3GS) OS. I accepted, but then during the process it just froze at less than 10% on the progress bar while it was installing the software. Unfortunately, this resulted in my iPhone being forced into recovery mode. And as such iTunes displayed a message informing me that the iPhone must be restored before it can be used. Furthermore, all attempts of iTunes to restore the iPhone to its factory settings as failed. Interestingly, it freezes in what appears to be the same place as when the problem first occured, that is a little less than 10% while installing the software. Hence, I cannot use my iPhone anymore.

So perhaps a commen solution exists for both our problems given their similarity. If I do find a solution to my problem, then I will post it here for you as it maybe of some assistance to you.

Good luck,

Jonathan.

Sep 8, 2010 7:17 AM in response to Spacehobbit

i was having the same problem today and managed to fix it. What I did was I plugged my iphone into another computer that I had synced it with previously (not my main computer). The phone finished updating to OS 4 and then worked again (yay!!).
I later synced my iphone with my normal itunes on my main computer and now my phone is back to normal with the exception of it running on OS 4. However, I've noticed that OS 4 is much slower - kind of 'laggy'

Sep 9, 2010 4:57 AM in response to joewhite1989

I'm having the exact same issue. Initially I thought it was my phone, but now believe it to be the iMacI'm using to perform the update.
I first had problems when I tried to update my iPhone 3g to ios 4.0 a few months ago. It would get about 2/3 of the way through the update then hang. I took it to the Genius Bar and they were able to perform the update with no issues.
Then yesterday I tried to upgrade to 4.1. Had the same exact problem. I went back to the Genius Bar again and this time I was given a replacement 3g. However the replacement phone was only at ios 4.0. When I got home I tried to update the new phone to 4.1 and again, it hangs at about 2/3 of the way through the update. Since this has now happened on 2 phones, that pretty much means it's got to be my computer.
I've tried all the troubleshooting tips I could find. I've put the phone into DFU mode, tried different USB ports, removed and reinstalled iTunes, even reinstalled OS X 10.6 on my iMac, and I'm still having the issue.
Unfortunately now it looks like my only option is to use my Dell laptop to do the upgrade...how tragic!

Sep 9, 2010 12:10 PM in response to Leigh Barber

Hi,
Am having the exact same problem - everytime there's an update available for my iphone 4 thru itunes it gets to about 50-60% and then freezes. This has happened on all 3 occasions that i've been prompted to update. I can only rectify by plugging into my daugters laptop and restoring from recovery mode. Very frustrating and annoying - this really needs sorting out!!

Sep 21, 2010 2:26 PM in response to Leigh Barber

At least I'm not alone with this ridiculous problem. I'm trying in vain to upgrade from 3.1.3 to 4.1 on my MacBook. It's running the most up to date version of all the software and OS.

I did a full restore of the phone before trying to update. Process gets to about 2/3rds of the way through the restore process and just hangs there. It's been on that level now for over 3 hours.

This is absolutely mental. What is the point in having Mac products when the don't work together. I would really love to hear an explanation for this from someone. It's shocking.

Jan 15, 2011 12:50 AM in response to Leigh Barber

I had this issue long time ago. It happens with my Mac Pro, but it's fine with my Macbook Pro. At around 70%, it freezes and I have to do it again with my other machine. Unfortunately, Mac Pro is my main system and all my devices are sync'ed to it.

What's weird is that all cases are talking about the same percentage. Would't that be a clue for Apple to figure out what the update process is doing at that stage and give a remedy !

Updating Iphone Firmware freezes Iphone... How can I stop it happening

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.