Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AVRCP and PBAP and Flash Support?

Why does my iPhone 4 which is supposed to be the epitome of advanced technology support neither AVRCP, PBAP, nor Flash. I know how Steve Jobs feels about flash and he continues to be wrong.
Is there any hope of getting a new software upgrade with support for AVRCP and PBAP?

BIYS, Windows 7

Posted on Sep 3, 2010 1:17 PM

11 replies

Sep 3, 2010 1:30 PM in response to TFCJRMD

TFCJRMD wrote:
Why does my iPhone 4 which is supposed to be the epitome of advanced technology support neither AVRCP, PBAP, nor Flash. I know how Steve Jobs feels about flash and he continues to be wrong.
Is there any hope of getting a new software upgrade with support for AVRCP and PBAP?

You are NEVER going to get flash on an iPhone. Get an Android if you want flash. Or maybe not... http://mobile.slashdot.org/story/10/09/02/2159237/Flash-On-Android-Is-Shockingly -Bad

Sep 3, 2010 1:33 PM in response to TFCJRMD

All iPhones support HFP and PBAP. Version 3.0 of the operating system added support for A2DP, limited AVRCP and PAN for iPhone 3G/3GS and iPod Touch 2nd/3rd generation only.

I don't believe he is wrong about Flash, at least not until Adobe can get their act together with a full Flash version on a portable device. It sure hasn't had an impact on sales.

http://newteevee.com/2010/08/31/video-flash-on-android-is-startlingly-bad/

Sep 3, 2010 2:11 PM in response to TFCJRMD

Thanks for the replies. Fortunately or unfortunately I have already purchased the iPhone 4 and live in an area where Sprint is not a viable option and the HTC EVO therefore not an option either. The early reviews of the new flash player for the droid are apparently encouraging though still apparently something not for everyday use.
I purchased a Jabra Cruiser. "Limited AVRCP" functionality is of no use on this device. According to several forums and blogs Jabra support implies that Apple does not yet know how to create a properly functioning PBAP and several other phones have "full AVRCP".
I am not trying to argue nor dengrate the iPhone, I own one. I was just hoping someone could offer me some hope that these would be added with future upgrades.

Sep 3, 2010 2:18 PM in response to TFCJRMD

The iPhone can be returned for payment credit within 30 days of the purchase date, and the associated contract with AT&T can be cancelled within the same time frame.

I was just hoping someone could offer me some hope that these would be added with future upgrades.

Since this is a user to user help forum only, no one here knows what Apple has planned with a future firmware/OS updates in this regard except for what they may or may not announce in advance before an update is released. If anyone here is privileged to any info in advance, they will be under Apple's non-disclosure agreement which prevents them from providing any info in advance.

Sep 3, 2010 3:15 PM in response to Allan Sampson

Test your future information I just received this from tech support. Thanks again for your help

Dear Thad,

The Jabra CRUISER does support AVRCP (to change music tracks) and PBAP (for Caller ID), as long as your phone has the necessary Bluetooth profiles. These features are highly phone-dependant and will not work if your phone does not support them. For caller ID, the CRUISER uses the PBAP or phone book access profile, and if your phone is not compatible with this, it will only announce the caller's phone number and not the name.

Regards,
Charlie
Jabra

AVRCP and PBAP and Flash Support?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.