Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to extract images from Aperture Project file: Quick and Dirty Solution

It seems that some people are, rightly so, worried about being able to extract their images from the Aperture Library and exported Project files. This is a very quick and dirty method to extract all images of a certain kind (jpeg, CR2, NEF, etc..) from a project file.

Export a project. Using the 'Get Info' panel, rename the project so that the extension ".approject" is no longer there. The project should now become a folder in the Finder.

Create an Automator workflow that does the following:
Get Folder Contents:
Check "Repeat for each subfolder found"
Filter Finder Items:
'Name Extension' + 'Contains' + 'JPG'
Move Finder Items:
To: "Desktop"

Save that as a finder plug-in, control-click on your exported project (or even Aperture Library), and run your action.

Voila... All JPG files in that project will appear on your desktop.

I couldn't figure out a way to extract all the RAW types and JPEG simultaneously, so you will have to change the 'JPG' to CR2, CRW, or NEF, etc.. depending on your RAW format.

Hopefully this proves to people that your images are easily recovered from the "proprietary" database that apple uses. From what I've seen of the XML files that live alongside images, it would be trivial to extract keywords and additional information as well.

Any ideas on how to improve this workflow would be appreciated... especially a way to extract all image files from the project, instead of just one type at a time.

PowerMac G5 Dual 2.3, Mac OS X (10.4.3)

Posted on Dec 4, 2005 1:17 AM

3 replies

Dec 19, 2005 5:28 AM in response to scsibug

I had a revelation today - iView can read .approject files!

So, archiving in iview is actually really easy - youjust dump the project file into iview and it will extract the images really simply. The only problem is that the project file might be larger than a dvd, which might make it hard to burn them for storage.

Is there a way to export projects in dvd-sized chunks?

How to extract images from Aperture Project file: Quick and Dirty Solution

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.