Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 10 re-opens after closing it

Funny (but annoying) thing actually. When I try to quit (cmd+q) iTunes while a song is playing it instantly re-opens. But this only occurs every second time that iTunes is opened.
Was this explanation understandable? If not, let me know and I'll give it another try.

So is anyone experiencing the same issue? Or is there already a thread regarding that topic existing? I was too lazy to go through all the iTunes 10 threads, which are (unfortunately) way too many.

One more thing: I installed and then uninstalled iTunes 109 (a program that brings parts of the iTunes 9 interface back) and I have no idea if I had this problem before. Also deleted the apple.com.itunes.plist file in the preferences but it didn't solved it.

MacBook Alu, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Sep 4, 2010 8:38 AM

37 replies

Sep 5, 2010 5:15 AM in response to whatever5234

I'me having the same issue.

After I quit iTunes 10, it will automatically re-open! This is very annoying. Just upgraded to iTunes 10. Have cover-flow installed, but that was never running when I had this issue.

If you miss on quitting it the second time, it keeps running. Drains battery too. Very annoyed; these are the kind of thing I only expect in Windows based systems. C'mon Apple, help us with this!

Sep 27, 2010 3:12 AM in response to Dunkelnebel

Yeah that's it! Since I deactivated Gimme Some Tune, iTunes quits like it should. Unfortunately GST is such a nice little add-on that I have not decided yet if I keep it deactivated or stay with the iTunes re-open thing.

Probably the next update will fix it: "GimmeSomeTune is currently in the process of being completely re-written from the ground up."

Sep 27, 2010 4:38 AM in response to whatever5234

Alright heres the thing: Gimme Some Tune has to be deactivated just before iTunes. Therefor I wrote a very short script but now I have to quit iTunes by activating this.

Here comes the source .... wait for it .......... code:
tell application "GimmeSomeTune" to quit
tell application "iTunes" to quit

Anything beyond that exceeds my AppleScript "knowledge". So maybe someone with a little bit more skill can pick up the idea and write a script that opens iTunes, waits for the "cmd+q" and then shuts GST right before iTunes? Would really appreciate it!

Sep 27, 2010 6:39 PM in response to bwadma

alright bwadma, i've never used gimme some tunes either so i was in the same boat as you until now, my itunes was acting up until i deleted two songs i had just downloaded for free from the itunes store, for some reason i guess i tunes didn't like it, i noticed this because every time my itunes would turn on, it would "start" this song. So i sent them to the trash, re-imported them and it works fine for now, its worth a shot lemme know what happens

iTunes 10 re-opens after closing it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.